Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Safety / Source for Confined Space Monitors/Detectors??
- - By awspartb (***) Date 12-07-2009 01:29 Edited 12-07-2009 01:35
Hi,
I'm a welder and would like to purchase my own personal Confined Space monitor.  The costs of these seem to be very high and I was wondering if anyone knows of a good quality monitor that test for O2 levels and Carbon Monoxide as a minimum.  Are any available for $200 or less?  The ones I'm finding are priced in the $800 to $3000 range.  I just want something small that I can take into the confined areas with me as I don't trust the crap monitors my contractor is providing.  If I complain or make it a safety issue I'll just get laid off/ let go.  That's what's happening these days.  There are hundreds of unemployed waiting to take my place in this job market so it's better that I just buy my own.  Any suggestions appreciated.  Thanks.
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 12-08-2009 00:43
awspartb,
"the crap monitors my contractor is providing."
Those are the $200 items you're looking for! The very same ones your contractor is providing! When it comes to safety equipment (or anything for that matter), you typically get what you pay for!
Do you want to get asphyxiciated because you trusted a $200 Harbor Freight O2 monitor that failed? If so, your family will enjoy the proceeds from the lengthy and expensive lawsuit....

Better yet, go ahead and be a whistle blower, I've been out of work for a while!
What project are you on????.....
Parent - - By awspartb (***) Date 12-08-2009 01:45 Edited 12-08-2009 02:04
By crap, I meant the old, obsolete monitors with a battery that will not hold a charge for longer than and hour or so.  They are beat up and have not been calibrated.......... ever. thanks for the info on Harbor freight.  At least I will have something new that I can properly take care of myself.  I just want something to suplement my company provided monitor.  Better than nothing I guess. 

I can't afford another layoff.  Wife lost the job and I can't travel right now.  I hear you on the whistle blower thing and the funeral.  Maybe in time I can do the whistleblower thing but OSHA is a tombstone agency that does little around these parts. Our unions seem to guide them to the non-union contractors who get hit with huge fines for you name it.  Our job sites just keep chugging along with lost time accident here, near fatality there.  Never makes the news either.   Maybe I'll spring for a good monitor.   I can't sleep at night these days because I dream about the job/safety issues.  I thought all this stuff was going to stop once Obama was elected?  At least that's what our union told us.  It's much worse (safety) if you ask me.
Parent - - By awspartb (***) Date 12-08-2009 23:54
Nobody can suggest a model or make for a confined space monitor I can wear on my person?  A link at least ? 
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 12-09-2009 00:01
This is what I have.

http://www.canarysense.com/mf-gaclip.html

jrw159
Parent - - By awspartb (***) Date 12-09-2009 00:30 Edited 12-09-2009 00:34
Thanks JR!!   That's a single gas version. CO and O2 deficient are what I'm looking for.  I guess around $500 to $600 is what they sell for on the link you provided.  I have several emails out to local safety vendors in my area and I'm waiting for a reply.  I have to crawl inside of multi fuel type (nat gas/fuel oil) heating boilers.  Some of them very old with running boilers right next to them all connected to the same chimney.  I'm worried about CO gas leeching into the confined space I'm working in.  The standard practice where I work is to put a box fan in the entry hole pushing air in.  No need for a monitor or so they say.  I'm thinking a CO/O2 monitor would be sufficent for this, maybe explosive gas also??  . Is there an OSHA code on entry into heating boilers and the gas monitors required??  I can't find it.  I'd rather just purchase the monitor on my own rather than get laid off for complaining.  The contractor is already "watching me" as a potential trouble maker which I'm not.  I just can't sleep at night because I dream about confined space accidents.  I was on a job once where a person died.  I'm sort of paranoid I guess.   MANY THANKS!
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 12-09-2009 12:12
awspartb,
  I will see what I can find on confined spaces through OSHA. One thing I want to make really clear is DO NOT risk your life for the sake of a job. Even in rough times there are more jobs than you have lives.

jrw159
Parent - - By awspartb (***) Date 12-10-2009 22:47
I bought one from the site you listed.  They seemed to have the best prices also.  $479.95 delivered for a three gas version LEL, CO, O2.  Screw the contractor.  I'll claim it on my taxes so at least I'll get a little back.  I feel much better now.  You are correct.  What's $479.95 compared to my life??  They had some used one on ebay for $350 or so but who knows what they've been through.  Maybe I'll be able to sleep better.  I can't wait to see the look on the bosses face when I whip this out in front of the other guys.  I'll be the only one using one.

Thanks jrw159.  I really appreciate it.
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 12-10-2009 23:27
Good to hear you are hooked up and glad I could help. :-)

jrw159
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Safety / Source for Confined Space Monitors/Detectors??