Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Beveling machine lubrication
- - By rick harnish (***) Date 12-07-2009 02:49
What do ya'll use? I recently mounted (and LOCKED) my machine on my bed. As it would now be exposed to the elements, rather than the beating it took in the backseat of the truck, I chose to ramp up the protection. I chose a high quality lube from back in my mountain biking days called Pedros Ice Wax. This product is EXCELLENT for chains as it goes on wet and dries to a very slick wax. Wont attract dirt and sheds water.
Question is: Did I screw up by totally degreasing the aluminum gears and running surfaces, replacing it with this wax? Will this protect the aluminum from wear? Would graphite have been a better choice?
Thanks for your thoughts.
Parent - - By RockerB (**) Date 12-07-2009 03:09
I think you'll be fine. I used to have my 4" and 12" mounted on the side of my tool box exposed to the elements and they never failed me. I didn't degrease it as you mentioned. Your machines aren't going to be rotated fast enough for long periods of time to create enough friction to generate enough heat to cause enough wearing issues to be overly concerned about them. Since then, I have built a new tool box that drops down into the center of my bed and behind the rear axle to secure my machines and barrel torches that i can lock. No matter what type of securement device you fabricate to your machines, they can be easily disassembled to be removed and reassembled by the thief later if he wants it bad enough.
Parent - By rick harnish (***) Date 12-07-2009 03:29
Yes sir, I hear you on the theft issue. My lock will only keep out the honest thief.
There is a machine on the truck they can crank up and destroy ANY lock. Just gotta hope, I reckon.
Glad to hear you think I didnt screw up taking out the heavy grease. Thanks for your response!
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Beveling machine lubrication