Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welding Chairs
- - By Mike Cates Date 12-07-2009 22:27
Has anyone used the Stag 4 welding chair?  Is there another chair you prefer?
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 12-07-2009 23:00
Welcome to the forum Mike!

No experience I can share but..

For those unfamilliar with what Mike is asking about

http://www.ergomart.com/industrial-seating/Stag-industrial-seating-chair-dtl.htm
Parent - By Mat (***) Date 12-08-2009 01:14
I have no experience with them, but...

900 bucks?!!!
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 12-08-2009 01:14
I have used a welding chair off and on for years ! I found it on a jobsite. It is shaped like a 5 gallon bucket.
Parent - - By Mat (***) Date 12-08-2009 01:17
Sounds like my handy dandy empty garbage can-chair.

Did you steal my garbage can-chair?  ;)
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 12-08-2009 01:19
what did yours look like ?
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 12-08-2009 01:55
I like the ones with a back on them if I am doing table work....if your on your knees a lot that looks like a pretty good setup.   Before shelling out that much I would have to know if the chair has a fireproof rating...not real sure looking at it.  Also whats the material on the casters, plastic is absolutely worthless....a urethane over metal is good or just straight metal.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 12-08-2009 02:05
I've got one of those.

When work is finished they are suitable for filling with catfish.
Parent - - By Blaster (***) Date 12-08-2009 02:39
I generally prefer to not sit when welding if it can be avoided... impedes mobility. 

My casual oberservation as a supervisor is that when sitting, work pace tends to slow.

The chair looks pretty cool though... what is the country of orgin?
Parent - - By welderjack (*) Date 12-08-2009 14:17
i use a creeper that folds up into a chair and it works as a mud board
Parent - By 8898jsmit (*) Date 12-10-2009 18:00
I prefer a milk crate.  Dosen't catch rain/snow and works good to stand on to reach higher spots.
Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 12-10-2009 20:57
we normally use a wheely office chair that goes low, or we welded casters on a small stool for stuff close to the ground.

I've used one of those back in the day. They work, I think the kneeling forward position is VERY  uncomfortable but that's personal opinion.  For that price? why not just buy one a chair that has the pneumatic cylinder and then make the base part?  seems cheaper
Parent - - By Paladin (***) Date 12-11-2009 14:33
A chair can sometimes make TIG welding easier, MIG too. Long ago an old guy told me the Number One Rule of torch cutting and welding is, ALWAYS BE COMFORTABLE.

Two places I cannot obey that rule is trying to TIG weld on my knees and on a ladder while using the foot control.  O, one other place, bottom of a too small, muddy, bell hole, with my feet higher than my upper body, and about eight inches between a rock bottom and the bottom of a pipe that will be X-rayed. It's a tie-in too, not aligned good, and the fit is real bad. Raining a little too.  And the other side of the pipe has to be welded left handed because not enough room to lay on your right side.

It might be worth $900 if you could make that weld in a chair.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-11-2009 22:56
I'm not sure anything I do would make that chair worth $900.  There are lots of various chairs available at less than $100 that work just fine for no more time than I like to see myself or an employee in a chair of any kind for any reason. 

Except of course my office chair.  While typing posts on this forum I need to be very comfortable.

Have a Great Day, and a very Merry Christmas,  Brent
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welding Chairs