Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Suggest Mill for Stainless Tube
- - By TheSavvy1 (**) Date 12-08-2009 16:56 Edited 12-08-2009 19:20
Anyone have a suggestion on a great mini mill that can be used on stainless tubing? .035-.065 wall? Drill up to a 3/4" hole.

Budget is $500
Parent - - By uphill (***) Date 12-08-2009 23:04
Might try a hougan or similar type carbide hole saw in a decent drill press, worked good when building stls headers.
Parent - By TheSavvy1 (**) Date 12-09-2009 10:24
Any suggestion on HP? Just do not want to burn through a motor? The holes I need are going to be up to 3/4" diameter on .062 wall. 
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 12-09-2009 03:05
There is no great mini mill, especially for that price. Get the heaviest one You can find. You would be much further ahead buying a used Bridgeport type mill, but it may cost You a bit more, especially for one in better shape.
Parent - - By TheSavvy1 (**) Date 12-09-2009 10:26
Thanks Dave, I am being given a unrealistic task. Most of these mini mills are to small for the apps that I would need it for. Just thought I would check. I will research the  used bridgeports. Thanks for the suggestion.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 12-10-2009 02:17
1 HP is plenty in any of these machines. You get the required torque from the gear/belt reduction. A "J" head Bridgeport has 4 belt positions and a back gear for further reduction, 8 speeds.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 12-10-2009 02:56
Hello TheSavvy1, if you are really trying to do this on a budget you could possibly build a relatively low-dollar horizontal milling set-up to do the job. For starters find an in-expensive or used X-Y table, then locate a relatively low-speed speed reducer and set it up to drive a shell mill(s) of the appropriate diameter via a horizontal shaft and some form of ridgid bridge to hold the shaft and cutters securely. By setting up the feed table at 90 degrees to the shell mill you could clamp your pieces either perpendicular to the cutter to mill saddles or else you could clamp the pieces at whatever angle or offset heigth that you might need to mill specific saddles at angles. Just a little something for you to consider. Best regards, Allan
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Suggest Mill for Stainless Tube