Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Classes
- - By Jacob Cassady (*) Date 12-08-2009 17:09
I'm in my second year of college and my major is welding. I have taken all of the offered welding classes and have signed up for the only two classes offered next semester toward my degree. I still have two classes to fill but they will have to be off subject of my concentration. Any suggestions on classes that would complement my major? I figured you guys would know best since a lot of you have been in this field for a long time. Let me know what you think.

Thanks and God bless,

Jake
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 12-08-2009 17:14
Hello Jake, classes on hydraulics/pneumatics, electrical systems(AC/DC, low volt, high volt), machine shop classes, there are a number of these sorts of classes that could directly be applied to much of the work that goes on in the field and shops. A few items for your consideration. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By Jacob Cassady (*) Date 12-08-2009 17:23
Thank you for the suggestions, these are great!

God bless

Jake
Parent - By paul prill (*) Date 12-08-2009 21:10
Classes related to Non Destructive Examination (NDE), material sciences or basic metalurgy would be good choices. also supervision and managment might help, never know some day you could be running the shop.
Parent - By Blaster (***) Date 12-08-2009 21:23
Math... hard to have too much.

I don't know how much trig is in your welding curriculum classes, and it may be simple, but it is one of the most worthwhile things you can know when fabricating. 

Properties of right triangles, basic algebra, working in feet, inches and fractions of an inch, rounding to the nearsest useable 32.... stuff like that can't be over emphasized.
Parent - By welder_Bob (**) Date 12-09-2009 00:00
Any Small business classes, taxes and accounting, construction law, CAD drafting.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Classes