Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Miller vs Lincoln
- - By Dax Date 05-26-2002 00:50
Im in the process of learning how to weld. I just bought a Lincoln arc welder and Im in the process of going to a mig. Ive been looking at the Lincoln 135 plus and the Millermatic 175 or 135. Not sure what to go with. I noticed the Miller products are more expensive. I will be using the product for practising and eventual fabricating steel, stainless and aluminum. Thanks for your help

Dax
Parent - By boilermaker (**) Date 05-26-2002 02:55
Dax, I've used both Lincoln and Miller products for a great while, and I have to say, that Lincoln's heavier duty machinges are great, but when it comes down to the small and large machines together in a product line, I'd say that Miller has Lincoln beat, hands down...Now that's just my opinion....Right now I'm using a deltaweld series machine with a S22P12 wire feeder to weld casing on boiler walls with.. But it's the individuals' choice...if possible, ask the salesman at the welding supply shop to try them both out...if he's serious about making a sale and having repeat sales afterwards, he should almost bend overbackwards for you...after all, you'll probably buy your wire, shielding gas, tips, nozzles, and all the other parts and consumables from him...so even if he doesn't make much margin on the machine, he'll get the margin on everyday things that you use... Regards, J.
Parent - By mcwelding (**) Date 05-30-2002 01:16
hey dax,
heres my advice, since you say about future welding on ss and alum, id make the quantum leap and buy a miller 200 + amp mig with spool gun for aluminum. my first real welder was a lincoln sp125 . pretty much the same as the miller 135. then i got a miller 225 ac/dc stick welder for the thicker stuff, then came a miller bobcat 225 nt and now tommorrow it is going to be traded in for a new miller trailblazer 301g. i have always loved welding and used to dream of doing it on the side. the side stuff started over 4 yrs ago. i still have the sp125 and the 225 ac/dc. all of which was bought new plus the bobcat. if worst comes to worse, and you lose interest in welding the new machine should get ya a good buck at resale. i only buy miller now, but i used to think lincoln was the best. thats my advice DAX. the more you get into it, the more your gonna want more power .
rich
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Miller vs Lincoln