Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / boiler construction type question
- - By uphill (***) Date 12-08-2009 23:01
I am looking to build some high end wood stoves/water heaters. I am using 30" x .500 wall pipe for the main body, bull plugging exhaust end and welding to a 1/2" bulkhead on the other end  with the dampner and the 1/2" door. I am wanting to run tubes horizontal through the top portion of the chamber. Question is would I be better to use 1 1/2" or 2" mechanical heavy wall tube to run the water through, my thinking is it will slow the tubes from expanding and contracting at a fast rate water enters the tube. I am using one common manifold with valves untill I get the orface size figured out. I want to build just one style and a couple of sizes with the tubes in so if you have the need for heated water its all set up.

I got some time to work on this for my Christmass layoff present ( that and 40' of 30" x 1/2" pipe) If it works I am going to work on getting it UL listed.

What you boiler makers ans vessel welders think on the expansion issue? I am going to start working on 2 stoves next week.

Thanks
Dave
Parent - - By Sharp Tungsten (**) Date 12-08-2009 23:16
I don't understand completely what you described in words but I think I am reading you are going to use a piece of 30 inch  dia pipe for a header and use 2 inch tubes as individual water wall pendants.  Or are saying you are going to use the 30 inch diameter pipe for the actual furnace chamber and route the tubes through like a water tube boiler? In my own humble opinion I think expansion would be very minimal but it would all depend on what pressures and temperatures you aim to achieve. Ash removal could be a pain inf you are going to make the furnace out of the pipe. Usually you would want a shaker/grate system for ash removal that is present on most square boilers. One bit of advice  I can give is try to make the door with a water jacket to prevent warpage and definately use saftey valves in case you get a runaway boiler.
Parent - - By uphill (***) Date 12-09-2009 02:48
Sorry, the 30" pipe will be the fire chamber, layed on its side with the tubes going through the top 1/4 of the chamber with the manifolds on the outside, just above the top edge of the door. Just circulation pressure to keep the water moving , nothing over a couple of PSI. Its going to be heating a reserve tank. Thought the door would go all the way to the top edge of the floors firebrick liner so a 1/2 round tool could pull the ashes out. Good idea on the low pressure release. I am not sure if it will even fly but the furnace without the water heating option will most likelt be what I build the most, a lot more sellable for farm and pole barn type use.

The expansion was the major concern but thanks for the pressure relief suggestion. I had thought about a double walled type with the water on the outside but for now I only have the pipes and some plate.
Maybe I can hunt up some 36x1/4 for the outside. I will go to the surplus building recyclers in MPLS and look for some old boiler parts.
Dave
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 12-09-2009 04:24
If this is for domestic water [sink, shower, tub & etc.] You have added a great ammount of complication if You don't have the water heating tubes at line pressure. You need a float valve to maintain water level in a tank and then a pump for delivery pressure.

If You are heating water for radiators or fan/coil units, figure 1/2 # per foot of elevation to the highest element of the system as operating pressure in a vented system.

Remember that anything relying on a pump for circulation can not be fired if the power is out unless there is battery back up for the pump. Many people want a wood burner to serve as a back up system, worth consideration.

I know of a home built system that used a pipe inside a larger pipe to build a water jacketed firebox. From this the fire went to a section of fire tube boiler, then up the chimney. The pipe sections were cores that coil steel stock came wound on, about 2' long about 1/4 wall. This boiler heated water in a 1,000 gallon insulated tank burried in the yard. From it the water was circulated to the radiators in the house, controlled by the thermostat. The guy claimed it worked really well, He was proud of it.

The aluminum finned copper pipe I mentioned was what We used at home. There was about 8 feet total of it made into a colector above the wood stove. It circulated by thermosyphon to an insulated 80 gallon tank in the attic [part of a solar panel system] the coil above the wood stove heated Our domestic water when the sun didn't shine. We had no problems with boiling which can be an issue with water tubes in the firebox.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 12-09-2009 02:51
If what You are building is a wood stove with domestic water heating capability, don't put the water coils inside. Use aluminum finned copper 3/4" pipe to build a colector along side or on top of the firebox. This will save You a whole lot of grief operationally & legally [You havn't built a "boiler"]. This can thermosyphon to the storage tank if You set it up right, so it does not rely on a circulator pump to keep from boiling.

If You are building a boiler, I would suggest a fire tube design, as the fire tubes act as tie rods for the end plates. If You are building these to sell, You probably have laws to contend with. If building for Your own use, copy the engineering details from proven designs & hope the choices You made are the right ones.

Residential fabricated boilers I have serviced are 1/4" thick steel with the dry parts of the firebox protected by refactory.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-09-2009 05:26
I built a wood-fired boiler to heat the house some thirty years ago. It is basically an airtight stove with a manifold constructed of 1-inch schedule 40 steel pipe (A53). All the pipes of the manifold pitch uphill at about 1 inch per foot. The cold water in is on the left side lower corner and the hot water out is on the top left corner, but it runs the length of the fire box and the entire manifold consisting of about 100 feet of pipe is free to expand and contract while the cold water in is in a fixed position.

The water circulates through the manifold and up through a 15 gallon stainless beer keg that sits atop of the firebox. A reverse acting aquastat kicks in at about 180 degrees F and circulates the hot water through the baseboard in my home. When the temperature drops to 150 degrees, the aquastat shuts off the circulator and the water is heated in the tank by convection once again. The system heats the entire home with a temperature differential of only about 3 degrees room to room. The circulator only activates when the water is sufficiently heated so that it does not have to run continuously. The secret is to pitch all the pipe upward to allow for convection and to include a loop so the water can circulate through the manifold and the holding tank (beer keg).

The pressure needs only to support the hydrostatic head, which in my two story home is only 10 feet (about 5 psi) since the boiler is located in my living room. A wall covers all the interesting stuff so my wife does not have to look at it. She put up with all the pipes and beer keg exposed one winter, but insisted it be covered by the second winter. Women have no sense of style.

There are two blow off valves in the system. One at the beer keg plumbed in with with pipe to vent into the basement where it can collect at a sump. Then there is a second blow-off on the original boiler system, which is plumbed into the wood-fired boiler as a backup should the primary fail to activate. The system was hydrotested to 50 psi when I built it, so there is plenty of safety factor built in. Should the electricity go out, which it does once or twice a year, I have an inverter in the van that will power the circulator, refrigerator, television, etc. You know, the essentials. 

The operating pressure is well below 15 psig, so it is legal in my state.

I almost forgot to mention, the front of the boiler opens (about 15 X 20 inches) so I can use it as a fireplace when I want to watch the flames flicker. While most fireplaces act as a huge vacuum sucking all the hot air out of the house, this one recovers the heat and sends it through the baseboard radiators.

I am trying to get around to modifying a pellet stove because I am too busy to split wood and I am too lazy to carry the wood it into the house. It is just a matter of finding the time to do what I want to do. I have got the stove; now all I have to do is rip out the fireplace and connect the new improved design. For the most part, it will be similar to the existing system.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Pipeslayer (**) Date 12-09-2009 13:54
Pipe size should  be fine either way but thicker  will last longer. I would however offset the tube and coil about 3 lengths to provide more heat surface area in the fire chamber.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-09-2009 14:38
The 1 inch schedule 40 pipe has lasted thirty years without a problem. The corrosion rate seems to be rather slow. Once the system was in use for a while it appears the corrosion rate may stabilize because the water is recirculated rather than being replace with fresh water. To be honest, I didn't think the pipe in the manifold would last as long as it has.

The piping in the system is mixed, i.e., copper and steel. Maybe the heavy coating of pipe dope between the steel and copper fittings has helped insulate the two electrically from each other. Then again, it might be ready to pop a hole somewhere in the system this afternoon!

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 12-09-2009 16:28
interesting AL, I've been meaning to build an evacuated solar hot water system, connected to the cold water feed of a standard hot water heater. On sunny days it should be capable of taking care of 100% of my hot water needs.  First I need to own a house though.

In looking at your diagram everything makes sense but I see you have a return line out of your holding tank to your cold water feed with a check valve. Excuse my ignorance, but what is the purpose of this line and how does it return water to the "boiler"
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 12-09-2009 16:49
You should also consider Geo-thermal if you end up purchasing a home where it is available to tap into... California has a bunch of locations where Geo-thermal (24/7availability) can be readily accessible, and installed rather inexpensively. ;) Something else to consider.

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 12-09-2009 20:18
yah I've been reading up on the "passive house" standard in Germany and Sweden. With some upfront engineering and design consideration, a house can be built to need no supplemental heating or cooling. economies of scale in germany mean they can be built only slightly more expensive than a traditional built home but with no heating or cooling bills.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 12-09-2009 21:06
One can also generate electricity with this system as well, because the steam is readily available to have a small turbine generator hooked up to the system and Voila! Utility Bills??? What's that??? ;) ;) ;) We have a system installed in our family's "Finca" down in the Dominican Republic that my dear Grandfather designed, and installed because we needed both heat, and cooling as the "Finca" is situated right by the base of Monte Christi which is the tallest mountain in the Dominican Republic.

There they even have snow at the top in the tropics of all places!!! :) :) :) We have more than enough electricity available, so we give the excess to the neighbors, and when none of us are there, they keep a close watch of our land as part of living in harmony with one another! ;) when I know there is no longer any hope for me to keep on fighting this disease... That is where I'll want be so that I can pass in peace, and in paradise to hopefully a greater paradise than what I know of there. ;) In the meantime, I might just go down there after the Holidays to spend some R & R once the treatment is done and I get permission from my Doctor, or not!!! :) :) :)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 12-09-2009 22:05
I wasn't aware of Geo thermal systems being used economically in home scale systems. I thought the pipe/ water recovery had to be driven relatively deep.

The systems I'm more aware of are thermal mass, heat pumps, and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annualized_geothermal_solar  annualized geothermal solar systems.

As well as theories like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passive_house the passive house and super insulation.

My dream has been to build a net-positive house, that produces more electricity than I use. Not so much for all the "green" reasons but because I want to stick it to the man and have the electrical company pay me.  Also i'm an engineer and I like to tinker with such things.  I was thinking of building a solar thermal system system that cogenerates both heat and electricity by using a steam system for electricity and having the condenser feed the hot water heater. I was going to start small and build a solar thermal hot water heater first.
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 12-09-2009 22:36
Joel,
We know that you're an engineer already, so there's no need to constantly remind me of this for whatever reason you choose to do so... Now to focus on your previous "presumption" that one had to drill deep, and afterwards install enough piping to tap into Geo-thermal is not the case as it is really dependent on where your house, place of business is to be located... In other words, some locations offer Geo-thermal energy potential more so than others, and if you find a location where it is readily available without having to drill so deep into the earth in order to tap into it... For instance, if you can find a location where there's a hot spring nearby, one can tap into that without the need for such extensive drilling or layinog out so much piping which is what my Grandfather discovered  in the early fifties!!! Remember Joel, Geo-thermal has been around for a long time, and has been adapted for many uses since including recently - relatively speaking of course, to generate electricity.. So it really depends on the location of the energy source, and what is required in order to tap into it. Btw, my Grandfather was an engineer also, only he didn't have degree! ;) Had you have known him, you would not have thought that for a minute! ;)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 12-10-2009 03:25
Our first solar water heater was a home built, made of 3/4" copper vertical tubes on a 1" header with copper flashing soldered to the back of the pipes. It was in an insulated box and had a discarded thermopane patio door for a cover glass, This worked well, but it was a fresh water system and had to be drained in winter. It was built largely of salvaged materials, except the pipe fittings, which were numerous.

About '80 We went to a manufactured system that used glycol and a heat exchanger. This system is still in operation today, but I did have to change the tank several years ago.

My buddy in California is instaling a PV solar/electric system. After all the rebates & tax incentives, it will cost about $40K out of pocket [bank]. This is for an 8 KW system. The plan is to keep the avaraged monthly bills in the lowest cost use range [5,000 KWH/month or less]. Suposedly the anual cost for grid power should be about $500. Their house, pool & irrigation uses a lot of juice. California law is favorable to on grid solar, go for it.

The so called geothermal, really a ground couppled heat pump is a good system any place You can drill a well & get water. This increases the efficiency of both heating and cooling, as the 52 degre water temperature works well both ways. My cousin has a home in southeastern Pa. using this system. water comes from and is returned to the same well.

The solar/steam/electricity project is a bit more ambitious. Another cousin of Mine built a model as a school project in the '70s. He did manage to light a flash light bulb from a generator powered by a model reciprocating steam engine. He used a concentrating reflector.

Remaining on grid with solar makes the most sense. It gives You backup and surge capacity at very little cost to You, and eliminates the need for storage. California's buy back & averaging laws ar extremely favorable to the homeowner. Just by participating in the program You are "sticking it to the man".
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-09-2009 18:35
The "ball type" check valve allows the water to circulate through the manifold and holding tank by convection. It prevents the cold water feed (from the circulator pump) from pushing cold water directly into the hot water holding tank, but instead forces the cold water through the manifold before going into the holding tank.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 12-09-2009 20:16
I just had an " OH!" moment. 
I got the function of the check valve but I was failing to understand why there was a return line directly off the storage tank.  Is it used when water temperature in the storage tanks drops too low so it is sent back to the boiler for reheating?  Otherwise I would of thought a a single loop system would be much less complex.

In the summer any plans on using the radiant heat system for AC?
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-09-2009 20:48
Now you have it. When the water temperature in the tank hits 180, the circulator dumps the heat by pumping it through the baseboard radiators. When the temperature drops below 150, the circulator pump stops and the water is circulated through the manifold (in the firebox) and up to the holding tank by convection. When the temperature of the water in the holding tanks hits 180, the circulator pump kicks in again.

Without the check valve, the circulator pump would simply circulate the cold water through the holding tank because water, like electricity is going to follow the path of least resistance. The manifold with its 100 feet of pipe with a multitude of bends would represent higher resistance, so the water would bypass it and go through the holding tank. The check valve forces the cold water through the manifold before going into the holding tank.

Believe it or not, the system was fabricated because the airtight fireplace was too hot for the living room and I had to have a means of getting rid of the excess heat. The manifold was the mechanism to accomplish the task and it heated the entire house in the process.

I used it for about twenty-five years. Then I got tired of splitting wood and carrying into the house. I purchased a pellet stove, but I have to convert it before I install it in the living room. Before that can happen I have to pull out the existing fireplace, which was originally a zero clearance fireplace the previous homeowner started, but never finished.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 12-09-2009 22:15
That makes sense now. Simple enough design.
As this isn't under floor radiant heat, it sounds like it wouldn't be practical to have a single loop where the water made one pass through a boiler, out to a small tank for expansion reasons then to the radiators and finally back to the boiler in one  line. I've seen systems like that, and they don't use a return line like that. That's what confused me.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-09-2009 22:22
I'm not saying it is the optimum design, but it is straight forward without too many bells and whistles. The important thing is that it worked and did its job for many years.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By Metarinka (****) Date 12-09-2009 22:48
that's all you can ask for. Perfect only exists in calculations.  It takes a lot of hubris in an engineer to think they can build the most efficient or optimal system, and have it work in the real world.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 12-10-2009 02:56
That is an interesting approach, batch heating the water.

The system I mentioned at Our house had another, larger colector made from finned tube on the sides & back of the firebox. These fed to the base rays & radiators in the house and would circulate by convection. Due to the way it was plumbed, the water flow was opposite from what the circulator provided.

The stove was in the basment, a lot of heat went to the house by convection, right up the steps. This carried dust & ash with it, because My Dad did not keep the area around the stove clean. Mom put her foot down and there was no more wood stove, but for about 20 years it heated the house and provided heat to the solar setup regardless of sunshine.

Water in a closed system like a boiler becomes less active, rust is not generally a problem on the inside of the pipes. The boiler I took out of the house in 2001 had been in place since '52, There was practically no rust on the inside. This system had a steel boiler, cast iron radiators and copper pipe.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / boiler construction type question