Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / 6G Pipe weld test
- - By Jacob Cassady (*) Date 12-09-2009 08:07
Took my pipe test in class tonight to get AWS certified. Everything went great!! 4" pipe sched. 80. I only had one spot that opened up on the bend tests and it was only about 1/16. One more cert. I can add to my resume. Also, we started up an AWS student chapter where I go to college. I got voted for Vice Chairman. A couple of good buddies of mine got voted for Chairman and Sectary. It's hard to do too much right now because we don't have any money. We are trying to get some fundraisers going within the next few weeks. I think when it starts to get warmer we are going to do some cook outs on a cooker our fab class is building this winter. Maybe even a weld-off. Right now we are thinking of ways to make quick money for our organization, like selling candy bars and things like that. If anyone has any other suggestions for fundraisers that wont cost a lot let me know. Thanks for all the great tips and advise.

God Bless,

Jake
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 12-09-2009 12:23
Jacob.

One great way to make some money is a silent auction for your club.

Build stuff.

Mail box

Bird House

Weight lifting bench

Wind Chimes,,,,   Lot's of things you and your instructors can think of.

Then go to local businesses... Everything from nail salons to hardware stores and tell them you would like a very small donation..  Anything from a pair of mittens to a boquet of flowers to a set of screwdrivers... Anything they can part with...   Good advertisement for them.

Set these things up in the campus common area or quad if the weather is fine... Each prize with it's own bid sheet that explains that you made the thing or the local player who donated..  Students, faculty and anybody else can bid each item up and up and up ... It's a real good way to get some extra scratch to make more projects and sell even more stuff!
Parent - By warmka weld (*) Date 12-09-2009 13:45
When i was in vo-tech we fixed carts for the local stores. Just set a reasonable flat rate per cart. Flower holders for local greenhouses also sold well, and easy to make. Silent auctions and raffles also work good.
Parent - By low_hydrogen (**) Date 12-10-2009 18:19
A slave auction always raises good money.  Have your cook out and sell your classmates to local people to do chores or a little welding for farmers ect. Talk to some local welding suppliers see if you can get some free stuff to raffle off.  Snap-on has always donated jackets tools stickers etc. Just for good pr. 
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / 6G Pipe weld test