Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / weld symbol doesnt match joint design
- - By kriskenmac (*) Date 12-11-2009 11:31
I will try and attach a drawing.

I ran into a fillet weld symbol on a drawing, and wondered how to approach this?

Does the weld symbol on the drawing have to be changed?

Do I fill out the single bevel groove, then approach it as a 3/8 fillet.....  with very uneven legs?

Thanks.
Attachment: scan0001.jpg (118k)
Parent - By eekpod (****) Date 12-11-2009 11:47
When it comes to misc. metal projects I get drawings from detailers that don't understand weld symbols very well, or at all.  Unfortunatly, it is common.  My structural jobs not so much.
When I come across this situation, I try to contact the detailer direct and ask them what they are asking for.  If/ when I can't I try to find the erection drawing, or assembly drawing to try to tell me what this part does or where it goes, again, this is not always easy, and it takes some time and effort.
When push comes to shove and I can't get an answer I try to give them what they ask for. 
In your case I would look at it as they need 3/8" of weld. Since your piece is bevelled, I would fill the bevel and put a fillet over it until I achieved 3/8" of weld.  But that's just my opinion.
Chris
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 12-11-2009 12:06
kriskenmac
I don't see a single bevel groove
What I see is a 30" pipe with a 24" T  The 24" pipe would be cut/bevel/Coped so as to fit up to the circumference of the 30" pipe. With this fittup there would be no need for the grove weld you mention.
Your sketch doesn't give any indication of any pipe prep to give a grove detail.
Marshall
Parent - - By 522029 (***) Date 12-11-2009 12:24
I believe Marshall is correct.  That branch connection is not approached as a beveled and gapped butt weld.

Griff
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 12-11-2009 15:32
scroll down on the sketch,  theres a second sketch below the top one that shows a bevel.  Thats what I saw.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-11-2009 16:21
IMHO, I "think" they want a partial-pen with a 3/8" fillet cap...but the symbol does not tell the welder that. Missing all of the information about the weld prep, if they wanted it beveled. The symbol does not tell the welder how deep to bevel the 24" piece, nor does it give him the angle of the bevel, or weld size to go in the groove. Symbols /sketches like this leave the welder assuming too much on his own.
Parent - By 522029 (***) Date 12-12-2009 00:51
I missed the second drawing (the scroll down).  My bad.

Griff
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-11-2009 15:44 Edited 12-11-2009 17:29
I see neither a fillet weld, bevel, nor a weld size. All I see is a weld that is 3/8 inch in length.

Maybe I just stupid, but when the contract calls out a welding standard that references AWS 2.4, then that is the document I use. If the symbol is not there or I cannot read what is required, I call the designer and ask for him to provide the correct information. If he cannot provide the right information I draw the conclusion that he/she is not much of a designer and question the design itself.

Kalvin Kline welding symbols that do not comply with AWS A2.4 have no place in industry. If the designer cannot or will not take the time to look up the proper welding symbol it is time for him/her to seek a job where professionalism is not a prerequisite. With the winter season upon us there are sidewalks to be shoveled and there will be Christmas trees to be chipped (shortly that is). One of those jobs is better suited for the design professional that cannot do the job he/she was hired to do.

One of my clients and I back charged a design company $180K for improper welding symbols. Many of the examples used in my courses are taken from that one drawing package. When a welder encounters a welding symbol that is questionable, I expect him to stop and seek help from his immediate supervisor. If the supervisor cannot read the symbol, he is expected to go to engineering and up the food chain until the question is answered based on the applicable document, i.e., AWS A2.4. When production stops because of incomplete, wrong, or conflicting information, I expect compensation for  the lost production. We have contracts and standards for a reason. I can tell you with some level of confidence the designer in this case purchased a current copy of AWS A2.4 and has now learned the welding symbols and their proper application. He now knows that if a standard welding symbol is not appropriate, a sketch with the necessary dimensions will do the trick.

We expect welders to know how to weld, we expect inspectors to know how to inspect, and son of a gun, and it is about time we expected designers and engineers to do their job in a professional manner.  If they are designing welds they darn well should know the proper welding symbol to use based on the current requirements, not what was in vogue thirty years ago.

Call me "Hard Core", it is OK.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-11-2009 16:23

>I see neither a fillet weld, bevel, nor a weld size. All I see is a weld that is 3/8 inch in length.

You're right Al, the filletweld symbol is backwards, and the 3/8" is on the wrong side of the symbol, so in it's current location it is telling the welder to place a 3/8" long weld of an unknown size.
Parent - - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 12-11-2009 16:36
Don't it have a field weld symbol and a all around symbol on it to .

M.G.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-11-2009 16:37
yes.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 12-11-2009 18:25
FUBAR! ;) The person who drew the FUBAR is an obviously avid golfer ! ;) Maybe he tries to emulate Tiger? :) :) :)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 12-11-2009 18:42
Looks like one of those "across the Bar bids". What is the pay off...12 pack and a fifth of Jack?
That's usually the way these jobs are bid aren't they, when the "blueprint is a matchbook or bar napkin?
Parent - - By Duke (***) Date 12-12-2009 01:23
Was it drawn on a bar napkin?
Parent - By swnorris (****) Date 12-12-2009 15:28
The two details definitely do not correspond with each other.  Just ask the person who drew it for a clarification, and get it in writing.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / weld symbol doesnt match joint design