Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / country of origin
- - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 12-11-2009 12:40
Quick question:
I’m about to reject a shipment of elbows …
PO states No china Material.
The MTR letter head has a Philipines company name address but there is no country of origin. I know that the engineers will point to The Letter head and say Philippines…
But that’s not disclosing country of origin.
I’m set on rejecting this until I get Documentation with country of origin or Engineer approval.
Would any1 accept this…….I don’t ……what would you do.

In short No Country of origin, no way of verifying that this is not China material.
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 12-11-2009 12:50
Mikeqc1
No I would not without at least a piece of paper with someone saying where the place of origin is. You can not satisfy the PO and if the note on the PO originated with the eventual Customers Specifications you could not show conformance.
As you said other alternatives would be Engineer of record approval of the documents and material.
That is my stand
Marshall
Parent - - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 12-11-2009 15:20
i agree, i did get it documented approvin the elbows.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-11-2009 15:46
No country of origin, no acceptance.

Al
Parent - - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 12-11-2009 19:25
That show i see it, but you know how the people who write the POs can get...........they act like you just want to make work for them :)
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-11-2009 20:52
I thought it was the other way around. The people writing the P.O. make work for us. If they did not include the requirements in their specifications, we would not have to worry about compliance.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 12-11-2009 21:13
What gets me is when something is required but not provided then the answer comes back "we really dont need that".
over and over
you are correct this makes a lot of paperwork on my end.
If you really wanna hear a Horror story over receiving material let me know id be glad to share it.
it would be good Therapy for me:)
Parent - - By Nanjing Date 12-13-2009 03:40
I do not think you know what you are looking at. You are looking at MTR's but you do not know where they are made? Certificates from the Philipinnes!!
You want to reject material made In China but are willing to accept if made in Phillipines?
Parent - - By Joey (***) Date 12-13-2009 16:14
Sorry, I don't get your point..."but are willing to accept if made in Phillipines?"

It says "PO states No china Material". So, if it's made in the Philippines, therefore it can be accepted....unless you have unfavorable opinion.
Parent - - By 1316 (**) Date 12-13-2009 19:14
I think you guys need to reread the original post.  It states that the company is based in the phillipines but no mention of the origin of the material.  A company can be based anywhere in the world and recieve its material from china or mexico or the u.s. ext.  That was his point.
Parent - - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 12-13-2009 19:24 Edited 12-13-2009 19:28
1316 that is the point.
No country of origin no acceptance, but they (customer/engineers)have made a change to accept the material without statement of origin.
As far as no china material........they themselves (china) do not accept material made in china for jobs built for them......go figure.
like joey said the company is based in the phillipines so it should be ok........But not for me that is no garentee of origin of melt.
thats just the way i see it.
MDK
Parent - By jarcher (**) Date 12-13-2009 21:29
Not that hard to figure. Chinese mills have been caught substituting 200 series stainless in place of 300. Their square tubing is atrocious, out of square, welding defects, etc. Our Purchasing department bought 1600 lf of 6x6 tube about 2 years ago, and it was a pain to fabricate with, plus the weld seams had apparently been either miswelded or repaired and ground off with a rock, leaving unsightly grinding marks, especially after painting. It took us just that one lot to decide no more Chinese. Additionally, given the level of integrity demonstrated by Chinese concerns over the last few years, I'm not sure I could sleep easily if Chinese steel was incorporated in critically loaded designs.
Parent - - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 12-13-2009 19:31
I do know what im looking at...have you never seen origin from one country manufactered or remelt in another?
maybe i dont get what you are trying to say?
Parent - - By joe pirie (***) Date 12-13-2009 21:39
Most of the 90's ive worked with usually have the country of origin stamped
into the elbow. It really sucks trying to fit 90's from mexico onto pipe
made in china lmao nothing like a little misfit on the ID's. avoid
pipe or fittings made in brazil worst i've ever encountered.
Parent - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 12-14-2009 22:25
Does any1 remember the Chinese PV that failed its hydro?
It was floating around the industry for a while.
After seeing this failure I don’t blame them for not using their steel.
Parent - By HgTX (***) Date 12-14-2009 22:34
Yes, there are some items that are melted and rolled into an initial shape in one country and then sent for further processing to another.  That's why we always require that our statement of domestic manufacture include "melted and manufactured".  I no longer remember the specifics but we've run into exactly this.  Might have been something like rod that was later drawn into wire.

Hg
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / country of origin