Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Wanted: Shop QC Welding Inspector
- - By eekpod (****) Date 12-11-2009 15:51
We are a large strucural steel fabricator lin RI ooking for a 1st. shift QC shop inspector who is able to perfom dimentional, fit-up, and final weld inspections on numerous strucutural building projects for both our fabrication facilities.  Must be able to read shop drawings and weld symbols.
NDT UT level II is preferred (shearwave) as well as MT,PT,VT certifications but not required.  Additionally a Certified Welding Inspector is beneficial but not required.
Experience with high strength bolts, Skidmore Wilhelm and paint inspection would be beneficial as well.  You must have your own transportation.  We do not assist with relocation costs.

Please send resume to;

Capco Steel
33 Acorn St
Providence, RI 02903
Attn QA Department

e-mail mcaparco@capcocorp.com
fax 401-861-1221
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 12-12-2009 03:45
And let me guess......... With all that you seem to want. And all that you do not offer. I guess you want some one to do this job for about $7.50 an hour to boot. Am I close ?
Parent - - By Sharp Tungsten (**) Date 12-12-2009 04:01
That would at least be a 40 dollar an hour job in my field of construction. What would it pay in yours Cactus? And I bet you are close to what they pay. He posted alot of stuff they want but none of what a person with these skills would like in terms of salary or bennies.
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 12-12-2009 06:49
yep I see it alot online for welding jobs wanting all this experience yet want to pay like 18 an hour or less, these dam people are smoking crack
Parent - By oklawelder (*) Date 12-12-2009 07:18
i recently applied for some shop work thinking it might be "steady " work in these times . First time i ever filled out an application in over 10 years , i sat in the lobby seen 2 guys talking in the hall and looking at me  turned out they were the shop foreman and the supervisor i was called into the office , asked what all i had done in the past , then the had the nuts to ask me if i could verify the wages i listed from past jobs so went to truck and brought in pay stubs and my invoice book ,  4 test was required  6 days a week , building same thing every day , in same spot in a shop , long story short 1 days wages wont even put a full tank of full in my truck ,,,,,,,,,,,
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 12-12-2009 14:01 Edited 12-12-2009 14:47
Not sure how you want me to take that comment about MY field. I can tell you that we had inspectors out on Thursday. They did a UT on 4 welds and they were paid $1200.00. Seems like the field YOU are in pays kinda low.
Parent - By swnorris (****) Date 12-12-2009 15:14 Edited 12-16-2009 17:52
Guys,

Unfortunately, I think that's the way it is in a fabrication shop.  I'm looking for a QC/QA Manager with NDT Level II qualifications who can also assume my AISC Rep responsibilities.  It's hard to find guys with that level of experience who will work in the $20.00/hr range, unless it's someone working for another fabricator who is ready to jump ship.  Generally speaking, a fabrication shop simply can't afford to pay someone within the same range as someone who has similar experience and working in the field.  This is just my experience, and it's the same for welders.  I've seen welders leave to go out and do field welding because they can make more money.  I've seen QC guys quit to become third party field inspectors for the same reason.  There's definitely nothing wrong with someone wanting to better himself and to better provide for his family.  This is in no way a stab at anyone who does field work, nor is it a stab at how much they make.  It's just different in a fabrication shop.
Parent - - By Sharp Tungsten (**) Date 12-12-2009 18:32
No offense meant or taken Cactus I am just a dumb boilermaker and we really don't get paid enough in my opinion. But I will say we make more than most ever will in this trade but we will always be behind rig welders and pipeliners. But we don't have to bring a single tool to work so I guess it all works out in the end. Are inspectors are paid any where from 35 to 50 dollars an hour and they are usually company men but the work is steady and the benefits are bountiful.
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 12-12-2009 23:00
I think I'm in the wrong field.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 12-13-2009 00:11
I agree

You should be in comedy... Performing or writing for SNL...

Man... I hate when I have to wait all week for you to post something.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-14-2009 13:08
+1....I agree, but we would still want Scott to come by and help out with D1.1 stuff too.
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 12-16-2009 11:27
This is definitely the wrong time of the year to look for help, unless your from India and wanting to move here, judging by all the applicants I get from over there.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-16-2009 14:32
Chris,  it is a worse time to be looking for work.  (Unless that is what you meant when you said "look for help").  I'd rather be the guy trying to decide who to hire because I really needed someone, than the guy looking for that one job with 100 guys or more trying to get it.

I understand the sentiment of the others about the lowness of shop wages compared to field or working for yourself.  But, who has more headaches and worries about keeping people busy so they can all (company and employees) pay their bills.  Look at all the differences between what you must supply for yourself if self employed or in field jobs compared to walking in the door every morning with all your equipment needs supplied by the company.

Most shop guys get to see the family almost everyday.  I know many who make $20-30 per hr, get schooling and new certs paid for, sometimes medical benefits, most all needed equipment provided, company vehicles for when travel is needed if they are a company that has field work as well, new code books everytime they come out, and many other benefits.  And they can live cheaper than the guys always on the road who have a family to take care of at home and themselves to provide for on the road.

Yes, I have been there.  Worked through the Boilermakers for six years in CA, NV, CO, and OR.  In the late 70's to early 80's, mostly CBI.  Brought home 800-1200 per week.  BUT, sold the house, moved the family in a 40' travel trailer and took them with me to all my work.  You can live cheaper that way, but trust me, it's no way to raise a family.  Some have done it very well.  I commend them.  It wasn't for us.  Currently, headed for our 33 anniversary with 5 great kids and 5 grandkids that I get to see regularly.  I'll take lower steady wages with those kinds of benefits anytime.  Thankfully, we have a pretty successful family business welding shop.  I make good money.  I do some travel within our home state.  Not gone long or often.  I am also a CWI and use that for TPI purposes. 

I respect all of you guys who posted above, Scott, Chris, Cactus, Sharp Tungsten, etc.  I would like to request something though.  I would think we could all work together without instantly assuming that someone wanted the moon for paper airplane prices.  I find Chris (eekpod) to be a very upstanding person.  Don't know the company.  Would imagine it's not as bad as all that was said by those who also don't know anything about them.  And just because some are happy, or forced through life's circumstances, to work for less than you do doesn't mean they aren't being paid well.  Sometimes I wonder, when some put down others for not making the same amount of money, who is really the one who is unhappy?  That is also what this country is all about.  The freedom to work where you want, doing what you want.  If the person getting those low wages really thinks he has the skills to make more, he is free to go.  But, employers also must pay what they can afford for the work they need to accomplish.  Hopefully, as they increase productivity, quality, and profits, they will spread the profits with the employees.  Many do.  I have worked for some.  Yes, I know, there are also many who don't.  If enough people decide they won't work for that kind of business, they will go out of business.

Going to get off my soapbox.  It's just my two tin pennies worth anyway.  I don't care to see us running each other down when eekpod didn't even give any specifics about wage/benefit package.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-16-2009 19:13

>I don't care to see us running each other down when eekpod didn't even give any specifics about wage/benefit package.

I agree Brent....we should be helping and lifting up each other instead

Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-16-2009 20:12
Great pic John,  thanks.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 12-17-2009 19:37
Thanks guys, I appreciate that.
I purposly left wages out of the post feeling that it would be picked apart from either direction.  Additionally, we don't automatically put it in our ads in the newspaper, so I wouldn't put it here, and it really depends on experience.
As far as those other comments, I just let it roll off, to busy to worry about that.  As it is I'm doing the work of two guys.

Still if anyone is interrested to apply for a shop position, let me know

Thanks and have a good holiday, whatever one you chose to celebrate (if any) :)

Chris
Parent - By RonG (****) Date 12-17-2009 20:29
Not all shops are not created equal.

In our shop, a Welder, Mechanic, Machinist or inspector can make slightly under $30 with an almost quarantined 40 hours plus per week with premium pay (1 ½ and 2x time), sick pay, paid holidays and vacation + more paid benefits and they go home to their families every night.

Heck I even buy their top of the line speedglas hoods for them (cant afford any false arc strikes on customers expensive equipment).

Our field people get much higher wages but they pay for it, at least those that would prefer to be home at night. Some do some don’t.

But the works not for every one, sometimes they may have to sit at a automatic SAW machine for 8 to 12 hour days even weeks and never put their hoods or gloves on.

We have shops in Fl, Ca, Canada, and Europe but even they are different from our Houston shop.

If it’s a non union shop the pay scale is just like the Gasoline company’s prices “What the market will bare” If you have the credentials do some bargaining.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Wanted: Shop QC Welding Inspector