Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / welders vision issue
- - By joglazier (*) Date 12-12-2009 02:47
Ive been under the hood for 27 years. mostly 7018, mp-211, mig tig both aluminum and steel. Being on the west coast the seismic issues have brought the wonderful world of nr-232  .072 innershield into my life and it is not very fun. Ive managed to get my fillet certs and in the morning I think I can squeeze out a 3G plate that will pass. OVERHEAD is another story I cant see clearly at the start of the arc for about 2-3 seconds before entering the groove. By the time I get a grip on seeing the puddle I am already in trouble . My vision is good in the light but once under the hood I become disoriented by the initial flash. I wear good glasses with a current prescription. Is there anyone out there that has encountered this problem?
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 12-12-2009 02:57
is it possible that you are taking these test in the middle of a sunny day and you're eyes are adjusted to the brightness of the sun then you drop the shield and it is really dark so then when you strike that arc it takes a few seconds for you're eyes to adjust to the darkness under the hood?? I know this sounds weird but I have experienced this welding outside when the sun is beeming down on top of me.
Parent - - By joglazier (*) Date 12-12-2009 03:29
Thank you chris I had a similar problem with transition lenses but this is happening in a test booth with all the right conditions for my glasses to be clear also I havent had more than 1 week of running this wire and no one is certified . I dont have any constructive critizisim Im fending for myself trying all heats speeds techniques and anything to pass these tests. I really think this wire needs to be taught not home schooled. It also could be stress as the company I work for took on all the strucural welding that is usually done by those mighty ironworkers. Im a glazier that can weld. They want it all now and because im a welder I should just be able to run these grooves Kinda gettin away from my issue had to vent sorry bro
Parent - By chris2698 (****) Date 12-12-2009 06:42
Very strange ummm maybe you should go see a eye doctor, I've been having problems with my eyes at work since I have moved over to aluminum welding and it seems to just get worse each day. My eyes are to good and the aluminum welding I am doing is pulse mig and is insanely bright, brightest dam welding I have ever done. I have done everything in my power to not have my eyes hurting me at the end of the day and am now in the process of just looking for a different job because i can't take the bright light. Sorry I was venting here as well. I'm sure you will figure out what is going on with you're eyes or like you say it could be the wire they are useing who knows really. I mean I had no problem welding carbon steel but since i have moved over to aluminum my problems with my eyes have gotten worse. I'm now going to a shade 14 and keeping my fingers crossed this will work out which I kinda dought. Crazy crazy I can see like almost 7 inches in front of the puddle with a shade 13.

Since you have welded aluminum and I really haven't done much fluxcore and has been so long since i have welded fluxcore at that, can you tell me is the fluxcore welding is as bright as the aluminum welding?? I know it is a bright light compared to like stick
Parent - - By J Hall (***) Date 12-12-2009 14:25
When inside a building, I have put duct tape on the sides or bottom of my hood to cut down on the reflection.
Parent - - By Paladin (***) Date 12-12-2009 15:42 Edited 12-12-2009 15:53
Joglazier, are you using a cheater in your hood? Do you have bifocals in your prescription glasses? If you are old enough to have been welding 27 years I would think that you would need some kind of magnification for close up work, reading, welding, etc. especially in poor light. Typically overhead will be in a shadow , the light being above.

The problem is that as we age our eyes loose some of there elasticity and can't focus as close as they use to. Without getting over MY head, it is like a camera. When there is a lot of light our pupils are small, like a camera stopped down. We have a large depth of focus. In other words, the distance that we can see in focus, near to far, is greater in good light. When the light is poor our (over 40 years) eyes began to loose the ability to focus in close. To carry the camera analogy a little futher, in poor light the lense is wide open, to get as much good light as possible, but the debth of focus is small.

So what may be happening is that the bad light on the bottom of the weldment is not allowing your mature eyes to focus clearly. Having the right cheater (magnifier lens) should bring overhead and any other welds into better focus. I rememer on old welder that refused to wear glasses or a cheater. His welds would run off the center of the joint. He was a good welder but was sure having trouble making welds.   It was sad to see him struggle with his welds.

If cheaters do help, you might consider having several different strengths. They start at 1.0 and usually go to 3.0. Close up welds like low amp TIG, I might put a stronger cheater in. High amp MIG where my head is futher away from the weld, I might put in a cheater of lesser strength. To find the correct one, look at small print at the distance you will be welding at. Try that in poor light.

When I first used a cheater a 1.0 or 1.25 worked great for everything. But as the years have added up and I've gone to stronger and stronger cheaters, the correct one is more critical. As the magnification becomes greater, the debth of focus becomes smaller. That is why when you get into the stronger cheaters it is critical to have the right one for the distance your eyes are away from the weld.

Hope that helps. Good luck.
Parent - By joe maher Date 12-12-2009 18:28
thank you very much Im really trouble shooting the heck out of this nr-232 .
Parent - By J Hall (***) Date 12-12-2009 19:38
Cheaters are simply amazing when you finally get one. I have a 1.0 and a 1.25, what a difference!
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 12-12-2009 19:04
Thanks J Hall I have done the duck tape thing and even used two old pair of gloves so that there is a piece of leather on top of the shield that drapes over the back of my head and a piece that drapes further down my chest. This sure does help alot but still not enough
Parent - By hotrodtodd (**) Date 12-12-2009 19:09
try using a pancke if reflection is your problem this will solve it
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / welders vision issue