Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / T,K,Y 18" pipe connection needs 6GR qualification
- - By david bean (**) Date 12-12-2009 14:29
Greetings,
I dont have much experience in D1.1 Structural pipe and i am under the gun with time restraints! 

We have a rush job with a couple 18" pipe T,K,Y Joints that are under the Prequalified 30 degree limits.

We have no procedures for open root, so we plan on welding a backing weld on the inside and backgouging from the outside.  We will splice the pipe to gain access to the inside.

Do I need to qualify  a WPS for this?

Do I need to Qualify welders on 6GR or will 6G work.

I believe the 6GR is for tight spots (T,K,Y) but do backing or open root a requirement?

Please clarify.

Thank you!!
David
Parent - By kipman (***) Date 12-12-2009 23:23
Mr. Bean,
Look at the third sentence of Clause 3 of D1.1:2008.  It says "In order for a WPS to be prequalified, conformance with all of the applicable requirements of Clause 3 shall be required".  If your configuration falls under the 30 degree limit specified in Table 3.6, then you must qualify the procedure.
Likewise for welder qualifications there are groove angle limitations - if your production joint has groove angles of less than 30 degrees, not only will your welder need a 6GR qualification but he/she will also have to do and acute angle heel test (ref Fig 4.26).
In my experience there is no such thing as a tubular TKY rush job.
Regards,
Mankenberg
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / T,K,Y 18" pipe connection needs 6GR qualification