Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / portable rates
- - By Steve Sterling Date 12-15-2009 09:50
Ive been welding for 30yrs. Daily for the last 20 an I have been doing carbon an stainless pipe for the last 10. Iam setting up a rig it a 87 1ton. have a brand new miller trailblazer. an suitcase. Iam looking at doing farm work on machinery building fencing, an also looking at trying to get in to some oil field work, all I have to pay on is utilities. So my big Question is what are some rates that portable rigs are getting?
Parent - - By shorthood2006 (****) Date 12-15-2009 12:57
im building alot of fence right now. we charge by the foot rather than by the hour. $5.00 per ft(labor only) is what we are charging for setting post, welding top rail and stringing 5 cables. It will figure out to 55-60 bucks per hour.
Parent - By JohnJohn (**) Date 12-15-2009 14:42
I used to build a lot of fence years ago. Good work for a small guy with a helper or even by yourself. Most people don't realize the labor involved in setting post whether it be digging or driving. The welding is almost the easy part. Around here most people start @ $1.50-2.00/ft for top rail and go from there. For pipe and 4 cables would be around $3.50, way too cheap considering the work involved unless you have 2000' or better. Good to hear you are able to get $5.00/ft. I would be jumping all over that myself!

JohnJohn
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-15-2009 14:25
Steve, WELCOME to the AWS Welding Forum.

Now, first off I disagree with your statement "all I have to pay on is utilities."  What about your fuel for truck and welder?  What about your trucks insurance?  What about wear and tear maintenence on truck and welding equipment?  What about a phone so people can contact you?  What about Lliability Insur, especially if you want to do much besides fence?  Rod, gloves, tooling that you find you don't have, licenses (city business, county business, sometimes state), Registrar of Contractors, maintaining a corporation or LLC, workers comp (I carry it on myself, easier than paperwork for exemption as the owner), fax machine, computer, sales/receipt book, pens to write out the bill, new safety glasses, advertising, etc.  I think you get the idea.  There are a lot more expenses than just your utilities.  And you should start planning on paying for them now if you want to be in business this time next year.  You may not utilize all of these, but you will need most of them.

This question has been asked many times on this forum.  It all comes down to what your geographic location is, what your expenses are, and how much you need to live as well as the exact type of work you want to be able to do.  Profit is not so much a factor as daily bread on the table these days.  But you should make a fair living for your expertise.  Never short change yourself.  It will only come back around to bite you and all the rest of us.

In my area, for a reputable shop or field welder with all the necessary paperwork, tools and experience we are talking $65-75 per hour.  Now, for some things I get $85.  There are some guys only charging $45-55.  And there is one guy kinda stuck on $90.  Won't come down, he is good.  We are a small remote community.  But, how much is the job really worth?

The guys doing fencing with no licenses, insurance (other than automotive), etc are getting $45-50 but, as was stated by shorthood, they mostly charge by the foot.  Some is done for as little as $3.50 per foot.  That doesn't include some of the work shorthood is doing- fewer rails besides top and posts. 

Not an easy question.  Just don't short change yourself.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Steve Sterling Date 12-15-2009 15:42
Thanks for the input guys Ive been working in the shop for the last. 20yrs. had to get out mom an dad are in their last days. I know Iam going to have the insurance issues an an regular expenses that go with it. When I left company I settled all of my debt no credit cards, no mortgage or other etc.. All Iam looking at is what occures from know on. Iam in south central kansas lots of farming, cattle, oil field, pipeline, few refinerys an lots of oil an natural gas plants to the south an west. But as you all feel the crunch coming from the adminstration. I will too. Ive got some other ideas an talents so Iam hoping that I can make a go of it Iam a hard working guy an I push my self to move forward. Ive heard of one guy around here that is out of the big city an he get 85.00 hr. from the time he leaves his drive till the time he pulls in. Here their seems to be a lot of rigs that are retiring with age of welder an economy. But iam trying to be optimistic that things will pickup in the oil bus. the farmers are always doing the crops an cattle people have to eat, but that is seasonal Iam going to give it my best shot an see if I can make a go of it. Only GOD knows. All I do is give it my best shot. I know of 6 or so welders in the area that are old friends an Iam hoping that an old friend that retired as a manager for pipeline an oilfield in the area can help point the way. I will then have lot of certs. to do an insurance. But Iam going to concentrate on farm an try to work my way into the oil field.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-15-2009 19:22
Good Luck.  You have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

South Central?  Around I-35, Wichita?  Been there just last Sept.  Couple of years before we were through from KC to Dodge City.  Nice farm and cattle country.  And lots of them.  Should be plenty of fencing and equipment repairs.  Hope it keeps you busy.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / portable rates