Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / ASTM A234 material
- - By Danny Thornton Date 12-15-2009 17:13
We recieved some 14" elbows sch.40 that were stamped WPB but the A234 was not included in the markings. I do not have the ASTM standard for pipe markings MSS-SP-25 so it is hard to look up this info. Is A234 a standalone for WPB or can anyone tell me if the A234 has to be stamped on the pipe. I appreciate any info on this topic. Dan
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 12-15-2009 20:28 Edited 12-15-2009 23:58
Strictly speaking, elbows should have been stamped A-234 WPB. Now, this is so a common material for elbows that it's understandable that the manufacturer didn't bother to stamp A-234, assuming that the client would know that WPB stands for A 234 Gr. WPB.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 12-15-2009 21:28
what exactly is on the elbows?
Parent - - By reflex_ak Date 12-18-2009 20:29
Thanks all for the replies....The stamping on the pipe is as follows.... ASK   14 S40 WPB Thailand 8Y327. From the MTRs I have narrowed down the 8Y327 as the heat #. But client cant accept MTR as a substitute for the Positive Material ID Program.
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 12-18-2009 21:56
Let's traduce what the stamping says:
ASK 14 S40 WPB Thailand 8Y327 means ASK 14 inches Schedule 40 Made in Thailand Heat nÂș 8Y327. I don't know what ASK means, but if I were your client I'd accept the material with no problems. Good engineering judgement (or Horse Sense, if you prefer), should always prevale.
Why don't you guys buy material (piping material, in this case) in Brazil? You wouldn't run into all of those problems you do when you buy material in China and other Far East countries.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Parent - - By Nanjing Date 12-19-2009 03:31
It is not a requirement to mark "ASTM A 234" unless the PO specifies it. Never use horse sense, follow the specification requirements. I woold advise you do not rule out China as a source. They are the same as most places, some good some bad. Never used anything from Brazil but I have used pipe from Argentina for welding procedure qualification tests and production and in every case it was excellent stuff.
Parent - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 12-21-2009 02:28
I deal with both American as well as many overseas suppliers , and i find that chinas quality is substandard.
Again , china will not accept steel from thier country......go figure.
They are dead set against any china material for any vessls built under thier requirments, our QC china manual has this as a requirment...again if the steel is "OK" why will they not use it??

ASK could be the manufacturers stamp.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 12-19-2009 15:06
X2 on the Chinese steel. It is crap/junk.

jrw159
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-19-2009 19:24 Edited 12-22-2009 23:03
Granted, this experience was many years ago, BUT...

I worked at a pipe manufacturing plant.  As an operator on the SAW, both inside and outside positions, and as a repair welder on the repair line, we always preferred ANYTHING BUT steel made in ANY of the Asian countries.  US and German was about the best.  French was pretty good.  Some others were very tolerable.

The Asian steel coils were so bad that we spent so much time repairing bad pipe that we couldn't keep up with the mill.  Had to set up extra repair stations and take pipe outside to fix and still worked way past the production stage to get everything shippable.  We also ended up totally scrapping a lot of the Asian steel. 

Management told us that at the price difference we could afford to scrap 50% of product off the mill and still make a profit.  But you talk about bad for moral.  The crew hated it when we had to run that stuff.  But they would only run better steel when the customer requested it in the Contract Documents. 

It is all about the profits.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Nanjing Date 12-20-2009 02:52
jrw159 if you cannot make a positive input to the question raised I suggest you keep your personal OPINIONS to your self.
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 12-20-2009 13:58
You can suggest anything you like. However what you suggest and what I do, I guarantee you, will be two different things.

BTW it is not my opinion, it is FACT.

Now as for positive input, practice what you preach. Unfortunatly I think you will be hard pressed to find positive input concerning Chinese crap/steel.

Good luck with that Stu.

jrw159
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 12-20-2009 06:10 Edited 12-20-2009 06:13
"The scottish fellow, is that Billy Connely, I thought you had given up welding?"

SUBJECT IDENTIFIED, TRACKED, LOCATED...
Parent - By Nanjing Date 12-20-2009 09:54
You cannot even spell the name right.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 12-20-2009 21:19 Edited 12-21-2009 04:02
The spelling was done intentionally.... ;)  Now the individual has been SELF CONFIRMED.....

Talk about a dog being told to go fetch a stick and running wildly to retrieve it!!!! :) :) :) You obviously RAN RIGHT INTO A CONCRETE WALL CHASING THAT ONE!!!!! :) :) :) :) :) ROTFLMFAOAAA!!! ;) ;) ;)

HOW SWEEEEETTTTT IIIITTTTT IIIISSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Henry
Parent - By Nanjing Date 12-20-2009 22:08
Clement Freud had a dog called Henry.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / ASTM A234 material