Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / D1.1 Joint Designation B-L2c-S SAW?
- - By kkidd1 Date 12-16-2009 02:18
The joint designation listed as B-L2c-S for SAW welding has 3 different base metal thickness listings. Next to the 3 listings it has max face listed as follows: Over 1/2 to 1" f = 1/4 Max  /  Over 1 to 1 1/2  f = 1/2 Max  /  Over 1 1/2 to 2  f= 5/8 Max.  My question about this is, Does this mean i can only weld material over 1/2" thick using this joint designation for the SAW process or are these thicknesses listed because of the three different Maximum face call outs? I have had one interpretation of this as unlimited thickness is ok because the material thickness is listed because of the required max face callouts of 1/4, 1/2 and 5/8.  I can't see any reason not to weld 1/2" thick material or less than 1/2" with this joint designation using the SAW process.  I think the different thicknesses are listed because of the max face requirements.

We use this joint designation to weld the bevel side first with GMAW process and then backgouge the second side and weld it up with the SAW process. We do this on 3/16" thick to 3/4" thick material and it works well. I have not seen anything that says i can't combine the 2 processes like this. Let me know what you think.
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 12-16-2009 12:55 Edited 12-16-2009 12:58
kkidd1
The Joint configuration you mentioned to be considered prequalified requires that the min. thickness of base material to be 1/2".
You can qualify the WPS with thinner material but it would have to be qualified with a PQR.
Just my take,
Good Luck
Marshall
Parent - By kkidd1 Date 12-16-2009 18:24
Thanks for your reply. It looks to me AWS would have (MIN) where Material Thickness is listed if they had a restriction on that joint designation. My first take on this was the same as yours but i had another cwi ask me about it. Thanks again for your help.
Parent - By swnorris (****) Date 12-16-2009 18:37
kkidd1,

You mentioned 3/16 to 3/4.  If you're looking for a prequalified joint designation for CJP with backgouge, why not use B-L1a-S for up to 5/8 thick, and then use B-L2c-S for the 3/4, or just use B-U4b-S for all thicknesses... if there's not an issue with any of the "notes"?
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / D1.1 Joint Designation B-L2c-S SAW?