Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / "Thickness of weld metal qualified", ASME
- - By jsdwelder (***) Date 12-16-2009 12:25
In ASME section IX, QW-452.1 refers to thickness of weld metal qualifed. The way I read it, you can have more than one welder deposit weld metal in a single coupon. Could someone explain why you would want to do this? Is this a common industry practice? What if one of the test coupons's were to fail a bend test, would all welders who deposited metal be considered as failed?
Parent - - By scrappywelds (***) Date 12-16-2009 22:35 Edited 12-16-2009 23:07
I don't know about a weld test with two welders, but it is a must for production water wall welds to be completed in the field by tube welder / boilermakers on coal fired boilers.

Bryan
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 12-17-2009 03:11 Edited 12-17-2009 03:28
Hi Scrappywelds!

The same goes for Co-Generation (Waste to energy) boilers as well... Have you done any work in one of those Scrappywelds??? If you haven't, they're basically using very similar design boilers in those types of power plants. ;) Have you ever worked on "Rifle Bore" tubes??? I didn't care too much for those especially aligning the inner wall grooves prior to welding them up which was not bad at all noce you got the joint properly aligned. ;) My second home was up in the super heater tubes up top in what I used to call "mirror land"! :)

Yep those water wall tubes, and many other locations where movement and access was very, very restricted always required more than one welder depositing metal in the joints, and that's how we were able to repair, or replace many sections as well as being able to erect many sections of tubing in a very short period of time therefore accelerating the new construction process involved in erecting new fossil fueled and waste to energy power plants across the country! ;)

And even though some of the LNG Combined Cycle HRSG fast burst supplemental power plants which were less complicated due to the fact that they burned really clean Natural gas, some of them were installed in series to produce net outputs equivalent to the bigger coal and garbage in Co Generation stations @ around the 600 to 700 MW outputs, but only for short periods of time since they are primarily used in the summer months when peak demand is at it's highest, and it also depends where they were located as well via the use of a huge boiler which would then sen the steam produced to the huge steam turbines that would be hooked up to decent sized generators also!!! :) ;)

Those were really fun and clean projects to work on compared to the friggin coal plant shutdowns which were like working in a mine because that's how you looked at the end of a shift working in those jobs!!! Yuck!!! :( :( :(

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By scrappywelds (***) Date 12-27-2009 23:23
Yes I have worked on "rifle tubes" , yes they suck to fit. "Mirror land" never heard that before , but I like the sound of it.

Bryan
Parent - By MBSims (****) Date 12-28-2009 02:27
For machine or automatic welding, it is sometimes quicker to qualify 2 or 3 welders on a single coupon.  QW-452.1 would only apply to manual welders though.  I suppose you could do the same for manual welders, say a renewal test if they were previously qualified and there quals expired.  Any test using a specific process would restore all previous quals for the same process.  Not really a common practice, but sometimes it is helpful to be able to do it.  If the coupon fails, they all fail.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / "Thickness of weld metal qualified", ASME