Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / B31.3 question
- - By GRB (*) Date 12-17-2009 01:12
currently on a project shooting everything on B 31.3.. we have 3 joints to go underground.( I know on 1104 we put the seams on 10 and 2 O'clock). On 31.3 can the seams be aligned or close, or does 1104 supercede in anyway because it's underground.
Parent - - By swsweld (****) Date 12-18-2009 04:42 Edited 12-19-2009 23:56
GBR,
API 1104 would not supercede B 31.3 if you are working to B 31.3 code. API Standard 1104 is for Welding of Pipelines and Related Facilities but not for underground pipe exclusively. I think 31.1, 31.3, 31,8, 31.9 all address underground pipe to some degree. I'm not sure if 31.3 addresses seam orientation but IMO it would be a good idea to stagger the seams. I just looked through 31.1(didn't have 31.3 with me) and didn't see any requirement on seam orientation. Not saying it's not in there just didn't see it.
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 12-18-2009 19:29
Good engineering practice says that seams, not only in piping but also in vessels, should be staggered IF AT ALL POSSIBLE. I've run into situations that this was impossible to accomplish and the seams were not staggered.
Now, I said "good engineering practice", so it's not always stated in Codes or Standards, but is almost always stated on Engineering Spacifications written by well known and prestigious companies and engineering firms.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 12-19-2009 01:27
I agree it is good practice to stagger the laps in the top quarter. This comes from the days of lap welded pipe and the pre 70ERW pipe. If the seam failed it would be toward the top and if the seams were staggered the opportunity for a linear failure of the weld seam traveling into the next joint is minimized. In discussing this with an engineer several years ago where the specifications on the project did not require the seam in the top quarter and staggered, he said the quality of ERW pipe from mills was good enough the seam requirement was no longer needed. And the history of failure of the newer pipes (post 70ERW) is 1 unreported or poor inspection of mechanical pipeline intrusion by 3rd parties and corrosion.
If you are using modern ERW pipe in aboveground or underground applications, the location of the weld seam is rather irrelevant when pressure testing. However if you are using pipe from any place ending in ...stan or China, treat this like pre 70ERW
Parent - - By Nanjing Date 12-19-2009 03:47
what a load of nonsense. You guys are really getting a big thing about China. Why? So afraid that you will not be the biggest thing on this planet when they overtake the USA?
Parent - By tighand430 (***) Date 12-19-2009 06:58
No, cause their pipe sucks in my opinion. I hae welded on pipe from so many different countries I can't name them all, but that chinese pipe aint anywhere near what I'd call "reliable" when it comes to how it welds. You'll pull porosity, have laminations, crap loads of scale, an if you're lucky, the IDs of the joints you're welding will be concentric enough to put a bead in without much hassle. I know that some of the companies over there are starting to get it right but they're the in the minority.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 12-19-2009 14:50
Why?? Plain and simple, point blank, Chinese steel SUCKS! I have rejected many loads of Chinese steel for no penetration in the seam welds. PT them and they bleed like a stuck pig, splits galore. Very poor weldability, porosity, laminations, splits at the corner radius ect.

Add to that the fact that more and more, customers are requiring that no Chinese steel be used when manufacturing their product and we give the customer what they want.

Try this on for size. We had a job at one time for a customer in CHINA. Guess what the customer spec said? USA steel only. WTF!?!? China did not even want their own steel! Go figure.

Next, two words. Radioactive steel!! Enough said.

Chinese steel SUCKS POND SCUM.

jrw159.
Parent - - By Nanjing Date 12-20-2009 02:26
What an imagination you have.
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 12-20-2009 14:01
All facts there Stu.

jrw159
Parent - By swsweld (****) Date 12-19-2009 23:58
Nice hijack Nanjing.
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 12-19-2009 15:59 Edited 12-20-2009 13:22
I think it would be wise to treat it all like pre 70ERW. In the last four years I've witnessed seam pipe and examined several pieces of "modern" seam welded pipe with LOF in the seams.
ASTM312 for instance allows up to 20% repair of the seams before it's rejected outright. If you think about it, thats a fairly broad allowance.
Taking that into account, if the application is critical, it would be a good engineering practice not to use seamed pipe at all. However; the cost difference is usually viewed by people who don't really understand that. In light of that, it's not unusual to see seamed pipe used in critical apps.

The last time I checked, the criteria in most pipe standards for NDE is non-mandatory. It's a value added, and a lot of procurment folks don't know, and unless told, don't care what the difference is. 20-30 years ago, you could count on pride and good workmanship, now you cannot.

China is coming into it's own in the age of lean lean six sigma. It's been my observation that a lot of the ASTM/ASME/API/EU/BS etc specifications contain many assumptions of quality. For instance, many specs have an allowance of 12.5 percent +- for wall thickness. I've seen a pile of pipe come in from China at -10 to -12 percent T. Still in spec, but definetly not following the intent of that allowance. They are following the lean lean idea that the Japanese/EU/America put out, only they do not care about the quality aspect.
Ideally that T allowance would be taken right down the middle, but it is not.

If it requires minimum 10 percent nickel, you'll get somewhere between 9.999 and 10.1, if it requires minimum -12.5 percent, your going to get that to.

Therein is what I believe is the real problem with Chinese steel. China is at it's heart a communist nation. You don't question the boss so to speak. Combine that with corruption, and you will have a crappy product. You cannot attempt to follow the bare minimums and not find yourself on the wrong side of them frequently.
This is where they fail to understand the purpose of those tolorances. The tolorances are there with the Assumption that a manufacture is shooting for the middle road, not the minimum road.

So when they find themselve on the wrong side of the spec, the 'don't say no' and 'corruption' cultures come together and they simply ship it out and hope for the best.

Thats my take on the matter, and why I feel good engineering practices should be mandated rather than assumed.

Regards,
Gerald
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 12-19-2009 16:47
Gerald you have stated the problem with China manufactured materials. China has the ability to produce quality goods. I have seen tubular plate and fitting materials from some of their mills that are world class. But you better have eves on the entire run till it is on a boat in international waters. I have dealt with China suppliers and my opinion is if China decides quality through the manufacturing process adds value to the brand, and face it the brand is China, then and only then will China manufactured materials be accepted.
I have a problem understanding the culture that has determined that cheap has greater value than quality. And it is not just a backward podunk mill trying to make a few Renminbi. You can have a pipe mill like Chengdu Steel that can manufacture world class materials. But if you get a bill of materials that list Chengdu Steel as the manufacturer and MTR's from them unless there are company rep eyes on the material how do you know the supplier did not get counterfeit materials and mark them from Chengdu Steel. And it seems Chengdu Steel does not care their brand has been counterfeited.
If this happens you get no support from the Chinese gov. You cannot sue the supplier especially if they are based in China. So the prudent thing to do is NOT use materials from China if possible.

China has got to change its culture of accepted corruption because when companies in China will not use their own material, what is the rest of the world to do?
Parent - - By Nanjing Date 12-20-2009 05:34
The 6 billion dollar+ Bay Bridge project has been built in China with Chinese steel. Are u telling me American companys do not know what thet are doing? Are they buying a load of sh*t? If so why do they place an order here?
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 12-20-2009 13:24
IMO, buying a load of S**T is exactly what they are doing. After all the reports of problems from that project, I would be hard pressed not to believe lawsuits will haunt that project for years.
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 12-20-2009 14:06 Edited 12-20-2009 14:44
"Are they buying a load of sh*t?"

YES, Exactly! This will end up being a headache for years to come Stu. The problem is that indeed some unscrupulous American companies will do anything to save a dollar, that dollar that will go into their profit pocket and the old saying that "You get what you pay for" will ring loud and clear in the end.

jrw159

http://www.aisc.org/newsdetail.aspx?id=21398

http://articles.sfgate.com/2009-09-06/bay-area/17206012_1_bay-bridge-double-deck-bridge-bridge-officials

http://articles.sfgate.com/2009-12-10/news/17182361_1_suspension-span-bay-bridge-toll-increase
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 12-20-2009 17:57
How is that cracking problem going?
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/01/26/BAKR15ESKG.DTL&type=printable
http://articles.sfgate.com/2009-08-26/bay-area/17176241_1_bay-bridge-welds-caltrans-director
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/01/25/BAKR15ESKG.DTL&feed=rss.matierandross
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/08/25/BAHK19DG15.DTL

I can come up with more but you can google as well as I can.
My issue with China and the China brand is that China has the ability to produce quality products.  It just comes to business management policies (China Gov) that looks at corruption not being an issue.
You can go to lead paint in toys, melamine in milk, fake vaccines, and more. Again, until brand China decides quality and integrity has value, China components will be looked at as suspect. 
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 12-20-2009 21:40
Now don't forget all of the TOXIC SHEET ROCK WHICH WILL HAVE TO BE REMOVED IN HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF HOUSES HERE IN THE UNITED STATES!!!
I CALL THAT CHEMICAL WARFARE OF THE MOST DEVIOUS, DECEPTIVE KIND!!!

HENRY
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / B31.3 question