Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / WPS, WQTR Database
- - By Louis (*) Date 05-29-2002 19:39
I guess you could say that I'm making go-carts. I am just a high school welding instructor. I want to be able to write more procedures and get them tested and documented so my students can benefit. I am doing these strictly for teaching purposes, no production of any kind. I feel D1.1 limits me and with ASME Section IX, until recently everything had to be procedure tested. I like the open root stuff, especially when different processes are used for the root and another type for the fill. I believe them to be more challenging and that’s exactly what I think the welding field is, “Challenging”. There are an infinite amount of tests that a welder can challenge himself/herself with if the testing facility just has the documentation on site. There in lies the problem; how to document and track all the WPS, PQR and WQTR documentation you generate. Not to mention the fact that I’m dealing with two different codes, which have their own specific type of documentation that must be done. I would like to have one form that could be used with both codes.
I like the gentleman’s database he had set up on access but access does not let you compact your database so your database will probably wind up being too big for storage on a disk. Just a small inconvenience I admit with today’s cd technology, but I do work on more than one computer. I need to know a little more about access to be able to adapt it for my needs. The C-spec stuff was great, but expensive. The personnel at C-spec were very helpful. They seem like good people. The problem is my little school just can’t afford it.
I am currently working with access to see if I can come up with something that works for me. I want something that I can alter myself, this way the program will much more flexible. If I come up with something that I can use I would be happy to share. I believe as welders and welding educators we should help one another and be mindful of our criticism of others.
Thanks Guys,
Louis
Parent - By TimGary (****) Date 05-29-2002 20:15
Louis,
I recently bought a new Gateway computer. Part of the package was access to free training classes for all of the software that came with the 'puter.
At the time I was trying to figure out how to create an Access database to track the material tracebility requirements for my shop. I arranged to visit the Access training class and to my good fortune, I was the only student who showed up. The instructor was very helpful and showed me step by step how to make the database and modify it as i needed in a one hour session.
Perhaps you could make an arrangement with your local Gateway provider..
Or perhaps there is an instructor at your school teaching the kids how to use Access..
Or perhaps at a local Vo-Tech...

Another option is:
Last year I was working on a purchased software system for tracking PQR's, WPS, etc. called "Welding Pro-Write". I became dissatisfied with the software as it had a lot of internal bugs and started looking around. I looked at the "C-Spec" stuff and as you said, it looks great but is very expensive. I also looked at a sytem from "Seamoss". They have been producing very expensive software for a while for large corporations for keeping track of all their welding data. However they were in the process of creating a smaller, cheaper version, and were looking for volunteers to test drive the system. Basically, they would give you a free software package and you provide feedback on how it works. I wound up changing jobs before the free trial arrived, so I don't know if it ever came through, but you might check out their web site. Perhaps if you explained your situation, they may help out.

Good Luck!
Tim Gary
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 05-30-2002 02:25
The access database can be split where you can have it on two floppies. A front end with the forms and reports and a back end with the data. If you have any questions or need any help, feel free to call me 662 424-5782 or e-mail me or ask on this forum.

I received my demo's of the C-spec software yesterday. It seems VERY nice. Just not in my price range.

Good Day

Gerald Austin

Parent - By Louis (*) Date 05-30-2002 20:42
Thank you very much. Good suggestions. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Louis
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / WPS, WQTR Database