Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Anyone know the AWWA c206 code ?
- - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 12-19-2009 00:12
Anyone work under or inspected this code ?
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 12-19-2009 01:06
Cactus,
I did a search and found this
This standard describes manual, semiautomatic, and automatic field welding by the metal arc-welding processes for steel water pipe manufactured in accordance with ANSI/AWWA C200, Standard for Steel Water Pipe - 6 In. (150 mm) and Larger. This standard describes field welding of three types of circumferential pipe joints: (1) lap joints; (2) butt joints; and (3) butt-strap joints. Other welding required in field fabrication and installation of specials and appurtenances is also discussed. The design of field-welded joints is not described.

This standard recognizes ANSI/AWS D1.1 as the supporting document that provides more specific information. Welding of gasketed joints may require modification to the parameters of this welding standard.

Looks to me the welding falls under D1.1 but I dont have 65 to 72 dollars of curiosity.
http://store.ihs.com/specsstore/controller?event=LINK_DOCDETAILS&mid=W097&getCurVer=false&docId=HNMYHBAAAAAAAAAA&mid=W097
http://www.techstreet.com/standards/AWWA/C206_97?product_id=11195
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 12-19-2009 01:11
THANKS ! That pretty much answered my question and my curiosity. We will be doing a 36" waterline and that is the only code that is implied on the drawings. It also list the welds to be performed with 70xx. So, am I right in the beleif that the onsite inspector can interpret this at his discretion ?
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 12-19-2009 17:00
I am reaching around some self inflicted damaged brain cells but I believe AWWA allows welder qualification to D1.1 or Section IX. Not being familiar with the accept reject to D1.1 there may be nothing more than a visual on fit ups and cap. I have never seen a xray rig on a water job, but I have yet to work on one. I would think these systems operate at less than 150 psi and the risk/consequence is really low.
If you have D1.1 procedures in place and the welders qualified to D1.1 you should be in good shape. May want to go over your continuity logs to be sure everyone is current. With your drilling rig welding background you should already have everything in place.
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 12-19-2009 18:29 Edited 12-19-2009 18:51
Don't know if this is the latest or your applicable Edition, but....

awwa standard for
field welding of steel pipe

STD.AWWA  C206-97-ENGL  1997

"5.1.3   Weld inspection.  When requested by the purchaser, a full-time welding inspector shall be present whenever there is welding to be done. The welding Inspector shall have prior pipe-welding experience and shall be a certified welding inspector (CWI) in accordance with the provisions of AWS QC1."

Under 4.4.2, it allows you use D1.1 sec.3 Prequalified WPS.

Sec. 5.2 Testing 
" All welds shall be visually inpected prior to nondestructive testing in accordance with ANSI/AWS D1.1, Section 6.14.5, Table 6.1, Visual inspection acceptance criteria for statically loaded nontubular connections."

Vacuum box and Hydro. tests seems to be the prefered method.

If RT is used...concerning field butt joints...
5.2.2.1  "methods and acceptance criteria in API Standard 1104."

Overall, it gives much lattitude to the "Purchaser", and makes many references to D1.1.
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 12-19-2009 22:15
Thanks All ! This has helped a TON !!
Parent - - By rfieldbuilds (**) Date 12-20-2009 01:33
Generically speaking, my experience with AWWA 206 is that it doesn't have a lot of teeth. It will typically refer to D1.1 for stringency in details. As I have recently completed inspection on a storm water pumping station with AWWA 206-03 listed as the ruling code, I will say I was suprised that the code offered little guidance. It essentially refered all questions of code compliance to the D1.1... Of course, every inspector will have their say in intrepretation of this code. My IOR was clueless about welding. They refered everything to the welding inspector. I did initial inspection and follow up inspection after they allowed repairs to parts that didn't line up with their pumping station. Of course, this was after the repairs were completed w/o onsite inspection. I hope the EOR accepts the repairs w/o onsite inspection. Snicker, snicker, snicker. When will they learn?!?
Parent - By yojimbo (***) Date 12-21-2009 19:24
Cactus-
Regarding your waterline AWWA question: I've worked 5 large bore waterlines as a rig welder, one 42" short line I contracted myself, so I have some experience but there are others who specialize in that niche and can speak more authoritavely than myself.  I am neither an engineer nor a CWI, but I make the point on a job to either be conversant in the code expectations for the welding I will be doing or to learn them PDQ. With that said: rfieldbuilds speaks correctly.  When I contracted my own 42" line and had to learn what I was up against in AWWA, I burnt a lot of time and miles talking with CWIs.  The code, while not lax, takes very little responsibility for self-definition.  It is essentially AWS D1.1 as applied to large bore water line, with a couple of qualifiers.  The most common welding procedure being used during the late 90s on these lines in SOCA and Nv. was downhill 5P and occassionally dual shield .045 wire/ CO2.  On a 20 mile 42" line I rig welded on with the 70XX requirements the welding contractor had me qualified with a a full pen 5P, 6", 6g qualification examined to D1.1 side bends and that was the procedure a couple of us used.  The contractor doing that job who specializes in large bore water transmission work had his guys using a 5/64ths down hill, innershield lincoln wire designd for pipeline work but I no longer remember the spec. on the wire.  It was a very productive procedure, a bit tricky to get a handle on but once mastered  made him a lot of money and he used it exclusively.  It required the voltage module to be installed on my 300 Classic D, which I wasnt going to spend for, so he by passed the code wth charpy testing on my weld test and I was good to go.  He swears by it, as you know, most rig welders prefer to avoid wire.  All the other waterlines I worked required a 1" unlimited overhead and vertical weld test with backup strip, 4 side bends to D1.1.  The 109" Pensaquitos line for the San Diego Water Authority was done with 7018, but it was a 15/16th" lap joint and a guy was either welding with 3/16th" rods or was going to be on that joint for a long time.  The best welders on that line welded that joint in a 10 hour day and inspection was stringent.  Single continuous stringers, one at a time, maximum 1/2" stringer width.  Put in  5/8th" stringer, one warning and then roll your leads.  Those inspectors were real nazis, most waterline inspection is a lot less stingent and usually requires a mag test, dye/pen test and pressure test with soap down for lines requiring both inside and outside welds on the lap joints, ie. after welding the threaded test holes are connected to a guage and small cylinder, pumped to about 50psi, soaped down and checked for leaks.  Good visual weld appearance is alway appreciated but rarely nit-picked and not to the standards most pipeline or facility welders produce.  Welding the inside lap joint on a 36" line would not be a job I would care to volunteer for, at least not for an extended period of time- it gets a little cramped in there for me.  It is possible to have this weld eliminated, as I did on my 42" project, if the contractor can get the engineering clearance.  That largely depends on length of line and psi- might be something to look into.  If not, you might keep in mind you will need a sufficient sized air mover to keep the smoke clear for the inside welders, at whose expense providing, fueling and keeping that running will be yours to wrangle with the General.  Having read postings from you in the past, it appears you tend to focus and specialize more in the gas and energy business than large bore waterlines.  Water work is generally IMHO far less critically challenging, but every application in this trade has its tricks, short cuts and learning curve and I thought I might pass on the few crumbs I've gleaned from my limited time in those particular trenches. Nothing a competent welder/contractor wouldn't figure out for himself, but if it saves you a step or two...then again we all know how much free advice is usually worth.  I would say though, if I was going to contract a decent sized large bore waterline, and especially if I was not going to self perform or be able to be onsite for its daily managment, I would absoutely recruit a guy with experience and expertise as a lead man to oversee and train the welders in a few of the essentials like but strap fit ups.  Again not rocket science, but I hate seeing guys re-inventing the wheel.  There are several guys on this forum with such experience who might be looking for work, I've heard most of their work is slow untill after the new year so they migh be available.  Something to chew over maybe anyway. Best Reards.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Anyone know the AWWA c206 code ?