Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / anhydrous ammonia
- - By low_hydrogen (**) Date 12-29-2009 00:56
Does anybody know which is heavier anhydrous ammonia or nitrogen? nitrogen has a lower specific gravity than air but I am not familiar with anhydrous.

Anhydrous ammonia is generally not considered to be a flammable hazardous product because its temperature of ignition is greater than 1,560 degrees F and the ammonia/air mixture must be 16 percent to 25 percent ammonia vapor for ignition.

I'm curious which method is better to purge nitrogen in the bottom, purging any gas out the top or from the top pushing it out the bottom?   Have a old anhydrous tank around 250 cubic feet that we will be cutting on and welding some xx fittings to. 

Gonna purge it to be on the safe side curious as to which method to go with pugre up or down?

Parent - By shorthood2006 (****) Date 12-29-2009 03:02
ya damn sure dont want to sniff or smell anhydrous...it will drop you to your knees.It will consume the air you breath. I would purge with nitrogen from top to bottom.
Parent - By shorthood2006 (****) Date 12-29-2009 03:04
is there an orphis at the bottom?
Parent - - By texwelder (***) Date 12-29-2009 03:12 Edited 12-29-2009 03:36
Anhydrous has an atomic mass of 17.03 grams (NH 3 ) and nitrogen has a atomic mass of 28.02 grams (N 2) but as to which one would form on top depends on the density of the gas not the mass. I might be off on the atomic mass figures but if you go to this website it give you the density of the two gases, so you can make the call from there yourself,
Parent - - By rlitman (***) Date 12-29-2009 20:51
Gas density at a given temperature and pressure is directly proportional to the gas's molecular weight.
Parent - By texwelder (***) Date 12-29-2009 22:34
Your correct but i couldn't type all that I hunt and peck
Parent - By FixaLinc (****) Date 12-29-2009 23:40
I have you bought any anhydrous NH3 or compared prices ?  Have to keep it locked up with special lock boxes for the valves and need to buy it with the dye in it so can mark the meth head thieves trying to steal it.  More hassle for sure.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / anhydrous ammonia