Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Sideplate construction
- - By supermoto (***) Date 12-29-2009 13:27
Anyone have any experience with this sideplate construction system?  I saw some drawings and looks to be very simple as long as you have the rolling direction as detailed, do some MT, and have some cascade fillet welds. 

Are there any other concerns anyone came across?
Parent - - By spots (**) Date 12-29-2009 14:27
Standard two-sided connection ideally suited for terrorist bomb blast "missing column" scenario...

Interesting

http://www.sideplate.com/design_systems.php
Parent - - By trapdoor (**) Date 12-30-2009 07:14
If you have any say in the matter you can avoid alot of fit up problems in the field by using the same beam for the link beam and stub beam connections. If not the allowable tolerances in flange and web thickness can possibly be a problem when you fit up the link beam splices. I do not believe it is a requirement in the design but would speed things up once erection and welding begins.
Parent - - By supermoto (***) Date 12-30-2009 16:45
Not sure on how they detailing is going to be for link and stub beams.  We are fabricating it and not erecting it.
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 12-30-2009 18:04
I have never worked w/ this system before.  My understanding is that it is propriatary and you have to pay "Sideplate" to use their system.
Parent - - By supermoto (***) Date 12-31-2009 12:33
Yes it is proprietary and I don't know if we paid them or who did.  We will be having some auditors come in here to make sure we are doing it right when we start up the fab work.
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 12-31-2009 19:11
Is that the rolling direction of the plates on the side??
That would be a pain in the ass to keep track of.  Not hard to do, just hard to prove that they had the plate in a certain configuration on the burn table and the program was going the correct orientation.
Assuming thats what you meant by rolling direction, vs the beam, but there's only one direction a beam can be rolled.
Parent - By supermoto (***) Date 01-04-2010 11:48
Well we are supposed to be labeling the material as it gets cut.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Sideplate construction