Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Welding Galvanized shoes to process piping
- - By Inspector001 Date 12-30-2009 14:43
Hellow eveyone!
I have a question if anyone can help me find the answer!
When welding galvanized attachments to a non galvanized weldment, such as welding galvanized pipe shoes to CS pipe.
What is the reason that allot of specs and publications specify to grind off galvanize coating from the area before welding? Is there a document or publication that adresses this? I understand why we grind coatings for welding reasons but is there a reason for as far as corrossion?
( galvanic??)
Thanks for the help in advance!
Parent - By eekpod (****) Date 12-30-2009 14:57
Ive only heard of it from a weld quality issue perspective.  To keep contaminants out of the weld itself.  Also to "reduce" or eliminate excessive fumes.
Not much, sorry.
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 12-30-2009 14:58 Edited 12-30-2009 16:01
Inspector001
Welcome to the Forum
Same reason you remove other coatings, as to try to prevent contamination of the weld.
Again Welcome to the Forum
Good Luck
Marshall
edit: AWS D-19.0, Welding Zinc Coated Steel, calls for
welds to be made on steel that is free of zinc in the
area to be welded. Thus, for galvanized structural
components of a fabrication, the zinc coating should
be removed at least one to four inches (2.5-10 cm)
from either side of the intended weld zone and on
both sides of the workpiece. Grinding back the zinc
coating is the preferred and most common method;
burning the zinc away or pushing back the molten
zinc from the weld area also are effective.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 12-30-2009 15:34
I would recommend AWS D19.0
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 12-30-2009 17:45
Not much here either, but the difference between welding galvanized steel and welding uncoated steel comes down to the low vaporization temperature of the zinc coating. Zinc melts at about 900 degrees F and vaporizes at about 1650 degrees F. Since steel melts at approximately 2,750 degrees F and the welding arc temperature is 15,000 to 20,000 degrees F, the zinc that's near the weld is vaporized.  So, by the time the weld pool freezes, the zinc is gone.  If galvanized steel is going to be welded without removing the coating, it's important to point out that the welding electrode composition should be checked to assure that the silicon content is very low because a high silicon content can cause zinc to penetrate the weld metal, leading to cracking.  I think that the actual recommended level is a subject of debate.  All this being said, I believe that not removing the coating prior to welding would simply be too risky.  In our shop, we remove it.
Parent - - By rodofgod (**) Date 12-31-2009 00:05
Hi All!

Nearly every weld procedure I have ever seen states that all contaminants must be removed prior to welding! Zinc is clearly a contaminant to the finished weld! That should cover the paperwork side!

In reality, if you try and weld galvanized products without removing the zinc coating, then you are asking for trouble! The weld will more than likely be very porous and not acceptable from a visual point of view never mind any MPI/DPI testing! You will also be left open to claims from welders for any galvi flu symptoms!

Easier to remove before welding!

Regards

Parent - By Inspector001 Date 01-11-2010 14:45
Thanks for the replies, I agree with all, just wondered about a publication.

Thanks!
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Welding Galvanized shoes to process piping