Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Digital Inspection Cameras
- - By JohnKish (*) Date 12-31-2009 00:01
Has anyone tried one of these for a welding application vs a mirror?   Have been looking at them for some time now. Milwaukee makes some, General offers a wireless model that will record and save the video clip. Thought of putting a welding lense over the camera and view it on the screen . Contacted one manufacturer and he replied no one ever asked that question before.
jkish
Parent - By FixaLinc (****) Date 12-31-2009 18:05
A welding shop in town by here has a Milwaukee and it's okay does for what they need to get behind mill and mixer walls to see how rusted out and I think has extensions too all in a nice case.  Cameras are much better now than 2 to 5 years ago. 
Parent - - By makeithot (***) Date 12-31-2009 19:19
almost any digital you buy today will do a good job of inspection work I use a pentax optia. Above and below the water with a housing good to three hunderd feet not that I ever need to go that deep.
Parent - - By JohnKish (*) Date 12-31-2009 19:41
I didnt want to use it for inspection, i actually wanted to try it on a welding application. Thought of putting a welding lense on the camera and watching the viewer instead of a mirror. It seems we have been getting into more and more applications where this would work really well

John
Parent - - By uphill (***) Date 01-01-2010 20:12
Dont know how the fibers would take the heat and splatter. If you got it too close or a spatter got imbedded into it I would think it would be toast. Most digital ones will get sun spots burned into the sensors from the concentration os focus. Sort of like the computer screen gets when you dont have a moving screen saver. I might be all wrong but for a couple of C notes if would be worth the try
Let us know how it works.  You might want to buy one from a pawn shop to test with
Uphill
Parent - By JohnKish (*) Date 01-02-2010 14:03
Ordered a Milwaukee unit off of Ebay.....I'll let you know how it works

John
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 01-02-2010 17:59
First off, "WELDCOME TO THE WORLD'S GREATEST WELDING FORUM" JohnKish and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! :) :) :)

What is the welding process that you're going to use with this camera?

You are going to need to configure some sort of intense enough lighting within the restricted space where you will be depositing the weld as well in order to counteract the arc which will cause background problems in viewing even with the use of a welding lens, so you're going to have to flood the space with background light of some type for better viewing through the use of the camera. ;)

If you could give us some more specifics of the application, we might be able to offer some more suggestions which could be helpful to you.

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By JohnKish (*) Date 01-03-2010 17:11
Happy New Year to You also

The welding process's we are employing are  Stick, Fluxcore or Tig.  We use any single process or combination that will allow us to deposit a Stainless Steel Corrosion resistant barrier internally.  We also have modified several standard mig guns to perform how we need them to. Typically we are working inside a 5-6" Diameter Housing 36" Long with seal glands on the interior. Access is typically from one end only, inlet and outlet ports made of 6" 2500lb weldneck flanges are also mounted on this housing which we also use for access We have been successful using mirrors but i want to go to the next level

Since i have seen video's of welding process on the net, why not use it for real time viewing.

Thank You

John K

Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 01-02-2010 20:09 Edited 01-02-2010 20:13
Your application is used all the time for automated welding. It really doesn't matter to the camera what the source of light is as long as it has a source.
You can adjust the white balance settings to appear the same as it would behind a hood. I have a lense made for my sony that is specifically for that purpose.

The only concern with it would be using it extensively without a filter lense. Over time it would burn the camera out, but if you can look at it through a lense without burning your eyes out, so can the camera.

The picture out of this thread was taken without a lense.
http://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?pid=71673;hl=picture
Parent - - By JohnKish (*) Date 01-03-2010 17:14
CW1555

Tried the link and received an access denied greeting.  What model Sony are you using?
John K
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 01-03-2010 23:08 Edited 01-03-2010 23:15
This one was taken with a Sony DSC H9. I also have a Sony α380 DSLR, it is the one I have the lense for.
Parent - By Duke (***) Date 01-03-2010 23:41
nice, post more
Parent - By JohnKish (*) Date 01-04-2010 00:14
WOW.....That would get my vote for a Oscar!

That is one great picture

Thanks

john k
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 01-04-2010 03:08
GREAT PICTURE !
Parent - - By cremx (*) Date 04-30-2010 01:39
I remember that one¡¡¡¡
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 04-30-2010 21:54
Yep, you probably should since you were standing there when it was taken if I recall properly.
Parent - - By cremx (*) Date 05-01-2010 00:05
You are right; that photo was fantastic.....9% nickel plate vs Nylod filler if I´m not mistake..
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 05-01-2010 01:44
That would be correct
Parent - By RANDER (***) Date 05-01-2010 00:36
The ol Dragon fire photo
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Digital Inspection Cameras