Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Applying weld bead for piece marking
- - By waccobird (****) Date 12-31-2009 13:46
Is it acceptable to apply weld bead for piece marking? I have done it for years and have never had any complaints, but that doesn't mean it is correct. I know that the Galvanizers list it as one of three ways to mark pieces for Galvanizing, but was wondering if anyone has had other than good experiences with doing it this way.
Thank You for any input on this.
Marshall
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 12-31-2009 13:51
We use it ourselves from time to time. Most of our material is automatically ID'd by the beamline, other material is vibroetched, and some is weld bead ID'd. There is nothing inherently wrong with it if the material is such as to not be damaged by the welding regime, i.e. most carbon or low alloy steels in many applications. The problem I see with it is time consumption. There are certainly faster and more efficient ways, but on the other hand it won't be covered up by paint coatings either, and is easy to locate.
Parent - By eekpod (****) Date 12-31-2009 19:14
We do it all the time and as long as the parts aren't exposed for visual reasons, and if the engineer doesn't care its fine.  We have tagged and stamped parts as well, but welding the ID number on is the most relaible, not the fastest, but it wont fall of.
Now when they mis read the number and they have to grind it off to re-weld it, that s REALLY time consuming but otherwise it should be fine.
AS long as there is no contract documents stating you can't
Parent - - By HgTX (***) Date 01-04-2010 18:24
Make sure you check with the engineer, especially if you have a cyclic or D1.5 application.  That would definitely be disallowed under D1.5.

Hg
Parent - By swnorris (****) Date 01-05-2010 17:37
It's probably the same thing in D1.1 with Q & T steels that have a specified yield greater than 70 ksi, however, tacks and welds outside the final weld are referred to as tack welds and construction aid welds.  I doubt the latter is referring to welded piece marks but I think the intent is the same.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Applying weld bead for piece marking