Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / WPS Qualification
- - By machugaa Date 12-31-2009 14:30
Please forgive how basic this question is, but I'm a quality inspector who has recently taken over the reigns on a developing quality department for a metal fabrication company. Among the tasks I've been given is to write/rewrite our Welding Procedures so that we may properly qualify them.  I'm not really sure where to begin!  I've been reading AWS B2.1, D1.1-1.3 and I really don't feel like I'm any closer to a starting point.

What is clear is that a bulk of our production will be covered by D1.3 due to our heavy focus on Sheet Steel. We'll also have coverage under D1.2 for our growing aluminum business, and D1.6 for our stainless work. 

I've seen the sample qualification forms and they look like they'll cover what I need to do, but I'd really love some practical advice on where to go.  Seriously, is there an AWS for Dummies book? Not even joking!

Thanks,
Aaron
Parent - By waccobird (****) Date 12-31-2009 15:17
machugaa
Aaron
Welcome to the Forum
Having mainly a Structural background I don't really have the information at my disposal to properly answer.
But the individual codes will have the requirements for WPS's and the PQR's that may need to be done and tested to qualify them.
For beginners if you are not familiar with the development of WPS's you might want to start with your most experienced welding personnel to help you set the variables.
It is not a task that just can be done by anyone so fess up if you feel uncomfortable and don't waste the companies time.
You might find a procedure that is known as a SWPS or Standard Weld Procedure Specification these are written up and sold by AWS. You might be able to buy some and write the wps's you need without further testing from these.
A wps needs to be written for every weld and every process your shop produces.
Good Luck and Welcome to the Forum
Marshall
Parent - - By joe pirie (***) Date 12-31-2009 16:45
there is a program called arc works. it was developed to help write welding procedures for
aws codes. a couple of shops I worked at had it and it worked real good and was very user friendly.
maybe your company can purchase this to help you out good luck  Joe
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 12-31-2009 17:16
Sometimes we try to cram too much info in our heads at one time.
It sounds to me that is essentially your problem.
Take it one step at a time.
Determine what exactly are the requirements for the work you do.
Write them down.
Materials, thicknesses, positions, and weld processes.
For example: Carbon steel, SMAW, All positions, and single V Groove with backing.

Work through one code at a time. I would suggest D1.1. Its the Queen Mother.
If your needs allow you to use Clause 3, review the Figs (3.3 and 3.4) for prequaled procedures and verify if what you do fits what is there, then use it. If not then go to Clause 4.

Utilize the suggested document formats available in D1.1.
Parent - By eekpod (****) Date 12-31-2009 19:17
Pick which code applies, say D1.1.  Then go through the section on WPS's make sure what you have meets those requirements, if not add/ develope till it does.  Check the commentary section in the back for help.
Good Luck
its a big task you have there, could take weeks or months
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-31-2009 19:21 Edited 12-31-2009 19:45
Hello Aaron;

It sounds like they have thrown you to the wolves.

Welding documentation can flow as follows:

1) Write a preliminary WPS - this is what you are trying to qualify. The welding parameters are your best guess of what the welding variables are relative to arc voltage, welding amperage, wire feed speed (GMAW or FCAW), travel speed etc. You can consult with one of your better welders to gather some useful insight. This is a welding procedure that has not been tested. It simply tells the welder what you want him to do.

2) Procedure Qualification Record - this documents what the welder actually did when he welded the test sample. It is independent verification of the material type, thickness, groove angle, welding process, shielding gas (if used), filler metal, and all the welding parameters used on a pass-by-pass basis. The test piece is then tested as per the applicable code. Typically you will visually examine the weld for unacceptable profile, undercut, etc. If the piece is acceptable you may have to do some NDT such as radiography or ultrasonic examination. If the test piece passes this round of testing it moves on to destructive testing. The destructive tests usually consist of guided bend tests and tensile tests in accordance with the applicable code (bend radius is based on material type, thickness, and tensile strength). The test data is recorded on the PQR after the welding data that was recorded while the plates were being welded. Assuming the nondestructive and destructive tests requirements were acceptable, you are ready to write your production WPS.

3) Welding Procedure Specification - there are different types of WPSs. Which one you use or write is dependent on the welding standard you are using. AWS D1.1 allows for the use of qualified WPSs (those tested as noted above) or prequalified WPSs (those not tested, but meet all the requirements of AWS D1.1 Clause 3 as well as Clauses 1, 2, 5, 6, etc.

Assuming you are qualifying your WPSs by testing as noted in item 2, you write a WPS for production welding based on the welding parameters used to weld the successful test coupon. Welding standards used will provide direction on the permissible ranges for voltage, amperage, travel speed etc. Again, these ranges are based on the actual parameters used to weld the test coupon, hence the necessity to witness the welding of the test coupon and carefully recording the parameters used for each weld pass.

The sample forms found in the annex of AWS D1.1 (or other welding standards) is a simple format to follow if you are not familiar with such documentation. Many of us have abandoned the sample formats once we have become familiar with writing WPS. Still, the supplied samples are a convenient way to get started.

3) Welder Performance Qualification – once the WPS is written it may be necessary to qualify the welders to determine they have the minimum skills needed to deposit a sound weld that meets the requirements of the applicable code. You can use the WPS you just qualified for that purpose. Each welder welds a test sample and it is subjected to visual examination and then radiographic testing or guided bend tests.
Welding procedures for fillet welds can be qualified in a similar fashion if you elect not to qualify the WPS using a groove welded butt joint. However, a procedure that is qualified a a fillet weld is only applicable to fillet welds.

My outline is for general work. Each welding standard has their own twists on the way to qualify the WPS and what data must be recorded. However, I find it best to record as much information as possible while the test coupon is being welded. I would rather have too much information than too little only to discover I have to redo the test because I forgot some required detail.

Consider attending a CWI seminar sponsored by AWS. Even if you don’t need to become a CWI, the information you learn will be very useful in your new position.

Best regards – Al
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 12-31-2009 19:55
You could take the easy way out and hire Al.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-31-2009 21:08
Can I add your endorsement to my resume?

Happy New Year!

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 01-04-2010 13:26
I would be more than glad to add my endorsement to any involvment you may have were I convinced it would be of benefit.  :)
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-04-2010 13:40
Are you saying you're not convinced? Boy, its nice to have friends. ;)

I've got an interesting repair job starting up. A 25 ton casting is cracked with sections up to 14 inches thick that have to be repaired. It should be interesting. I've worked up a repair procedure over the holidays. I'm head out tomorrow to ramrod the welding. The carbon equivalency is a touch over 0.6, but doable with preheat.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By R McLead (**) Date 01-08-2010 15:56
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / WPS Qualification