Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Weld Overlays Inconnel 625 /Minimum hardness requirement
- - By dhannaro (*) Date 01-04-2010 09:57
Hello,

I had develop WPS/PQR  ( welding TIG )weld overlays with Inconnel 625 for ring groove corrosion resistant weld overlay , Hardness test result as weld minimum is  190.8 HV , but project specification is required minimum 220 HV, I'm not sure for filler metal itself can be reach to 220 HV  ( ERNiCrMo-3 ) brand nane "Oxford alloy " Type 625

Refer to section IX Incase of we conduct hardness test already , chemical analysis still required or not .

Best Regards
Hannaro
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 01-04-2010 14:25
Chemical analysis is only required when chemistry is specified in the WPS per Note 9. If it is, it is irrelevent if you run hardness testing.
Also, 220 Vickers may be tough considering the spec min tensile strength for NiCrMo-3 is 110 ksi (quite close to 220 vickers) and you will have dilution with GTAW.
In order to make it I'm gussin you'll have to run two passes min and maybe a 3rd.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 01-05-2010 13:23
Let me expose my ignorance here if I may
Why hardness on a NiCrMo-3 corrosion overlay?
The only thing I can see is perhaps its a poor mans dilution test.
MIC-10 is certainly cheaper than a Niton. But to me that would be way too innacurate, though the thought did occur.
Or, is abrasion an issue in this service as well? More likely. Or high temp mechanicals.
We did have similar problem with overlays on extrusion dies for a pipe manufacturer I worked for.
Though the Ni was chosen for its high temp mechanicals, for obvious reasons in extrusion, and not corrosion.
But if high temp mechanicals is the issue room temp hardness seems of little help, unless you have a reference curve for specific alloy chemistries. Just brainstormin here.
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 01-06-2010 19:57
Inconel 625 is a high nickel alloy used for corrosion resistance. High nickel alloys tend to be soft rather than hard, that's why you're having difficulties in achieving the hardness required by the specification.
I don't understand the following: it's a well known fact that the harder the material the less resistant to corrosion it is. Inconel 625 is used for corrosion resistance, why then the hardness requirement?
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 01-06-2010 20:47
Giovanni,
You make an excellent point.
I think it may be generated from a limited consideration of SCC in which a hardness variance of a specific alloy can be detrimental. But what about erosion-corrosion where the exact opposite would be true? Where hardness would minimize erosion and therefore minimize the combination phenomena.
Isn't this the very reason (or at least a primary reason) behind the Cr in CrMo alloys?
- - By Mujipur Date 08-29-2015 06:52
Dear experts,

I am going to do my project work in Aluminium thin sheet.. can anybody suggest which standard i have to use for test specimen preparation and testing methods..
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-29-2015 20:19
LOL, Really, you pull out a 5 1/2 year old thread about Inconnel to ask if we can suggest a standard for you to do your work to on Aluminum.

Look at your project specs.  We could give you all kinds of answers but you have not given us near enough information and I am way to tired to even be responding to this.

BB
Parent - By 46.00 (****) Date 08-30-2015 01:49
D1.2 lol
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Weld Overlays Inconnel 625 /Minimum hardness requirement