Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / inspecting own welds
- - By atramsdell (*) Date 01-06-2010 14:38
When i get out on the field and hopefully end up working for myself would it be possible for me to become a certified weld inspector, and then instead of hiring an inspector when needed just inspect everything myself, if i do it all legit.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-06-2010 14:53
Topic has been talked to death(try the search at the top of the forum), but the general concensus is to get this situation approved with the customer up front to avoid any possible conflict of interest situations, so make sure they are aware of the situation before welding/inspection starts. Be prepared if the customer asks for 3rd party inspection, just in case this doesn't fly with them.
Parent - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 01-06-2010 17:10
Most often clients require the welds to be examined is selected by the third party NDT/NDE contractor, sometimes even the client will pick them.

Parent - By fbrieden (***) Date 01-06-2010 19:32
That's like a carpenter checking his own measurements with a tape measure that's inaccurate.
Parent - By swsweld (****) Date 01-07-2010 03:29
In most cases you will not be allowed to serve as the CWI and the welder. You would be legitimately qualified to inspect the welds that you made but in my experience (CWI and contractor) that works mostly in commercial construction, the General Contractor will require a TPI to perform the inspection. The contract documents may or may not address the issue specifically but when most GC/QC personnel mulls over this scenario, they will balk at it. Too risky for them. If you or anyone that inspects their own welds has a failure and damage to property or people occur an investigation will uncover this questionable practice. So the savvy GC will choose to go with TPI.

I have been and quite often do the visual inspections on our companies welds as long as I do not make the weld. The specs that I commonly work to does not require that the visuals are to be by TPI. But the RT/PT/UT is required to be by TPI. So far this only applies to pipe work, I have not been allowed to serve as the CWI for our structural steel welding. This has been the norm on the government projects that we work on with the USACE providing the oversight. (U S Army Corp. of Engineers)

It usually depends on the verbiage in the specs and then often requires a RFI (request for information) to get it pre approved.
However, you may be able to do this occasionally if you are 50 cents cheaper than the other CWI. That's all some GC's care about if they are responsible to pay for inspections.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-07-2010 14:25
atramsdell,

As John stated already, you will find through the 'Search' function many threads on this topic.

The thing that crosses my mind most is, NO ONE CAN STOP YOU FROM INSPECTING YOUR OWN WELDS.  All welders should inspect thier welds rather they are a certified inspector or not.  If you are a CWI you had some extra knowledge to a well developed in house Quality Control Program that should give your customers more confidence in your product.

BUT, as far as doing inspections on your own work in order to avoid paying an outside inspector or to avoid the customer sending in his own third party inspector (TPI) to check your WPS's, MTR's, PQR's, Welding Certs, QC program, and final quality before the product is shipped to his job,  NO.  99% probability that will not happen, especially on larger Code jobs.  They are going to stick with a system that gives them the confidence that you really did what you said you did.

Again though, it does give you an advantage because you will have a more complete understanding of the codes you are working to and a good understanding of what the customer inspector is going to be looking for when he comes in to your shop.  The better the finished product is when he sees it, the fewer weld flaws he finds to have you repair, the better the whole job goes for everybody and the more likely you will be to get repeat business.

Hope I have been of some help.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 01-07-2010 18:38
To use an old cliche'.
"The Doctor who heals himself has a FOOL for a patient" (remember Freuds' "Cocaine Papers"!)
Even the most brilliant authors, scientists and technicians (Stephen King, Carl Sagan, Chuck Hellier) hire Editors to review their work before publishing. Typos and confusing/unintelligible sentences posted in this forum could be reduced by exercising the same "watchdog" or policing practices.
The old craftsman's rule of "measure twice and cut once" does not always produce the desired results. Sometimes our tiny little myopic brains/eyes and or inflated egos (pre-requisite for any certified Welder, right?) will not allow us to see the obvious when it comes to OUR OWN MISTAKES! Not a breach of ethics or malintent, just human nature.
There is an inherent advantage to having multiple sets of eyes, opinions and experiences when it comes to reviewing (inspection) of construction or manufactured goods.
While QC at a mining equipment fabrication plant, during turn-over meeting, my dayshift counterpart said there was a completed truck body (painted and ready to ship). He had verbally bought it off, but ran out of time to fill the requisite paperwork prior to loading on the truck (rush job of course!). I walk through the door, and first thing I see staring back at me at eye level is an "arrowhead magnet", with a very small paint run/drip coming off of it. Asked the painter "whats wrong with this?", he sees the drip and begins cleaning up the little run. I get the other QC over there...same thing! Then I point out the fact that a 6" magnet is right there, and painted to boot! We cleaned up the paint and even found the welders name engraved on the tool for return. Everone got a good laugh...but the funny thing here is that at least 4 people had to have "seen" that magnet Before Me! It had even been sand blasted prior to paint!

This is why it is best not to Sign off the Final Inspection of your own work, and why Industry has adopted TPI and other safeguards. Although laziness, fraud and ignorance come into play, it is also for the human element.
As Brent said...."NO ONE CAN STOP YOU FROM INSPECTING YOUR OWN WELDS. "
AND all of us ARE inspectors in some capacity at one time or another, even if your the receptionist that only walks into the shop once a month.
Parent - By fbrieden (***) Date 01-07-2010 19:13
I didn't know you had to put cocaine in papers! I always saw a mirror being used.
Parent - By HgTX (***) Date 01-08-2010 18:58
Right on.  In a good shop, inspection isn't so much about keeping the welder honest as it is about providing a second set of eyes.  You should inspect your own welds as a matter of course, but providing your own final inspection deprives the product of that second set of eyes.

Hg
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 01-08-2010 17:38
Somehow that makes me think of lawyer charged with murder defending himself.  He may be innocent, and may do a good job defending himself, but the jury would be doubtful about anything he says or does.
Parent - By fbrieden (***) Date 01-08-2010 18:22
Well put, Chet!
Parent - By atramsdell (*) Date 01-11-2010 22:33
thanks y'all. i like how simply chet put it. that makes sense. i just wasnt sure what the laws/rules are on inspection of your own welds, obviously i will inspect every weld i make but thats different from being a cwi and really passing the welds
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / inspecting own welds