Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Boom Repair
- - By makeithot (***) Date 01-07-2010 18:19
Here is the result of hireing people without Tickets, pics are what was and what should have been.
Attachment: boomrepair1.jpg (50k)
Attachment: boomrepair2.jpg (77k)
Attachment: boomrepair3.jpg (41k)
Attachment: boomrepair4.jpg (30k)
Attachment: boomrepair5.jpg (50k)
Attachment: boomrepair6.jpg (61k)
Attachment: boomrepair7.jpg (46k)
Attachment: boomrepair8.jpg (36k)
Attachment: boomrepair9.jpg (46k)
Attachment: boomrepair10.jpg (48k)
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 01-07-2010 19:55
Over the years, I've posted a few comments on boom and overhead crane repairing, always saying that both MUST be carried out following their manufacturer's instructions. He knows his equipment better than anybody else and will recommend the best procedure. Don't undertake the responsibility of carrying out the repair following just your own opinion and judgement. If after the repair, at lifting a weight, the boom or the overhead crane collapse, maybe killing someone, the fault will be YOURS. 
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - - By makeithot (***) Date 01-07-2010 21:21
I agree completely.
Parent - - By oklawelder (*) Date 01-07-2010 21:46
in pic #1 is that a patch over the fish plate?
Just wondering ,,,,
Parent - By joe pirie (***) Date 01-08-2010 02:06
looks like it was welded with 5p lol
Parent - - By makeithot (***) Date 01-08-2010 06:57
No, you can see the vee just to the left of the sqaure patch is the factory fish plate. If I had a choice I would have removed it as well and put a new one to cover the fracture and the end of the boom as well which would have been a better deal but would have required removeing the boom off the machine.  
Parent - By Wrench Tech (**) Date 01-09-2010 02:32
Nice job, Richard.  I love that kind of work.
Tom
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 01-09-2010 14:56
Nice work. A rental company I used to work for had a mobile guy come out and do one like that. Don't recall if he even fixed the crack? Ran one bead of 1/8th 7018 around the edge of a 3/8"-1/2" plate(can't remember exact). After he left I checked out the welds. This was before I got caught up in the welding biz and was always looking at the "older" welders welds so I could see what the experienced guys were laying down, learning so I could improve myself. Well, wow, awwww. Many places of the weld where you had incomplete fusion at the toe's, like he was in a hurry, big air gaps you could park a truck in. Just not very good looking welds in general, this I remember because I always heard about this guy and how good he was. After that day I didn't look at his welds for educational purpose's anymore. I know everyone has a bad day but this was a 2 foot patch plate on the side of the boom, pretty easy welding in my book.

So nice work makeithot! Looks good.
Parent - By strother (***) Date 01-09-2010 23:08
Nice job! Equipment repairs are rewarding when the customer lets you do it right.
Parent - - By Marsh Welding (**) Date 01-10-2010 01:13
customer should have bought a yellow machine then it wouldnt have broke
Parent - - By DD EQUIP (*) Date 01-21-2010 16:50
I DON'T KNOW IF (YELLOW) MAKES A DIFFERENCE WE
PROBALLY FIX A DOZEN OR SO (YELLOW) I'M ASSUMING
YOU MEANT CATERPILLAR BOOMS AND STICKS
A YEAR
Attachment: Picture009.jpg (760k)
Attachment: Picture013.jpg (789k)
Attachment: Picture009-1.jpg (875k)
Attachment: Picture015.jpg (885k)
Parent - - By Marsh Welding (**) Date 01-21-2010 22:54
yeah i was just playing around. everything i own is cat except for my excavator. its a terex so i have no room to talk
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-22-2010 14:10 Edited 01-26-2010 04:18
Do we blame the welder or the employer that sent him on the job (without proper direction) or the owner of the equipment that didn't want to hire the right person because he "charges too much"?

I opt for the later. The owner is responsible for the equipment. It is his responsibility to make sure the contractors performing the work are qualified and the owner should make sure the contractor is following the recommendations of the manufacturer. It isn't that difficult to ask a few questions other than "How much do you charge?"

I can recount numerous cases in my previous life where contractors came to me for an estimate and opted to go elsewhere for the repair because I was "too expensive", only to return a couple of weeks later to "repair the repair that broke".

Then there's is the question of why the owner didn't have the repair inspected? The reason is simple enough; he was too damn cheap and wouldn't spend the money to have the job done properly.

It is very likely this contractor got what he paid for. Contractors are the only people tighter with a penny than welders that need to be certified for the next "big job".

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Wrench Tech (**) Date 01-25-2010 22:07
I've welded cracked and broken booms for as long as I can remember..couldn't tell you how many.   Never had one inspected.
Tom
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-26-2010 00:14
Does that mean it shouldn't be inspected or you hope it never gets inspected?

Best regards - Al
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 01-26-2010 00:51
I have done my share on hvy eqp.    Never been in a situation where there was any QC of any qualifications other then the owner who could do nothing more then look at it and see if it was a "good weld" or not  LOL.    Poorly done repairs are rampant on equipment because you betcha it comes to $$$ 9 times outta 10.  BUT I also believe most people once the break down and higher qualified work they tend to stick with it because they learn I did not have to call him on "that" but one time.    I once told a guy after looking at all the scabs.....just go get a new one, because you will spend your money better then having me try to fix all your cheapskate repairs.....really ticked him off, but I was scared just to be in the same neighborhood with his crap running.
Parent - - By Wrench Tech (**) Date 02-07-2010 21:14
I would expect a comment like that from a fellow that makes his living as an inspector but surely you must realize that there are millions of excellent welds out there that have never been inspected.  A good quality weld is a good quality weld whether or not it's been inspected.  So, I'm saying that in my past I've been pretty good welder and done some pretty nice work.  Whether or not it was ever inspected seems a little irrelevant to me because it wouldn't have made any difference in the way I did things. 

I think most welders would sort of agree with the way I look at it and most inspectors would disagree.  Oh well...

Tom
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-07-2010 22:16 Edited 02-07-2010 22:21
Hello Tom;

No disrespect meant. I used to feel the same way in my previous life as a welder.

I saw little value in a written WPS; any welder knows how to weld XXX. I saw little reason to inspect a weld. I saw no reason to qualify a welding procedure by tests. There was no reason to, after all, I could fix anything but the crack of dawn and a broken heart. Then I graduated to inspection and discovered not all welders are welders. More than a few so-called welders are nothing more than rod burners with no appreciation for the finer points of the metals they were working with. A36, A992, A53, A106, if it rusts it is steel; root it with E6010 and fill it with E7018, "get 'er done!"

Hotbox for low hydrogen electrode? A waste of money and electricity, simply short the electrode against the iron and heat it up, that will drive out the moisture.

Preheat the steel until the moisture is driven out and start welding as soon as coffee break is over. The list of "standard practices” could go on for a few pages. Many of us in the inspection business started as welders and if we did not do the things I listed above, we have seen them done on job after job after job that we have worked on. 

Inspection is one additional step to ensure the proper filler metal was used by a skilled welder to make a repair the will serve the customer as expected. Inspection is just one more step to ensure the welder used the right joint preparation to ensure the owner gets a repair that will serve him well. Inspection is one more step to ensure no one is injured because some idiot that thought he knew everything there is about running a bead or just graduated from Uncle Willie's 10 week School of Welding doesn't do serious damage to a piece of expensive equipment.

Call it the belts and suspenders approach to repair welding, but I've seen many instances where a qualified inspector could have saved the owner a lot of time and money had an inspector been called in to serve as a second pair of eyes and to review the planned repair.

How many jobs have you been called in on because the first welder screwed up the job? A welder worth his salt appreciates having a second set of eyes on the job to verify it was done properly. If there is one thing I have learned over the years it is that I am not infallible. I often use the services of another inspector or engineer as sanity check to make sure I have considered all the options and considered all the possible problems that could be encountered before starting the job. Is the right equipment available to do the job correctly and safely?

For a job where there is no danger of damaging the equipment or hurting someone, the services of a qualified inspector may not be necessary. I am sure the fellows I encountered in the following examples saw no value in having a second set of eyes on the job.

“There is no problem welding on a piece of heavy equipment with the work lead to the drawbar.”

“There is nothing wrong with welding a boom with the work lead connected to the track cleat”

"I use 1109 electrode for all my welding.”

I could go on for hours reciting the nonsense I have heard come out of a welder’s mouth. The one thought I keep in mind is that the “dumber they are, the more money I make.” That does not apply exclusively to welders by the way.

This is not to paint all welders as idiots, nor is it to say all inspectors are geniuses. That may be far from the truth, but the smart people recognize value of a second opinion, a second pair of eyes, or the value of having someone check the work. After all, it isn't the good welds we need to be concerned with. It just that all the welds a welder makes are good until someone looks at it and says, "This weld looks like crap! Who is the idiot that welded this?"

Good luck.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 02-08-2010 03:12 Edited 02-08-2010 03:15
Al, I see where You are coming from, but probably the guy who needs the inspector the most is the guy least likely to hire one. What I mean by this is if a guy hires the low bidder who either cutts corners or just doesn't understand the scope of what is required to do the job properly, He isn't likely to hire an inspector.

Hopefully You most often verify that the proper procedures are being done and seldom have to blow the whistle on someone making a mistake.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-08-2010 04:54 Edited 02-08-2010 04:57
That was my point in the earlier post. The welder that needs the additional oversight is least likely to recognize his limitations and the owner is only interested in his wallet. So who is to blame when something goes terribly wrong? The welder or the owner?

Here in the U.S. the precedent is pretty clear, the owner is responsible to make sure anything on his property or anything he owns must be in proper repair. The owner is responsible for any repairs done, i.e., the owner is tasked with ensuring the individual/contractor hired to perform a task has to be qualified. The lowest bid does not cut it in a courtroom when the crap hits the fan.

It isn't unusual for a problem to have been identified by the time I get called in. One of the nicknames I have is the "Welding Nazi" and the other is the "Hatchet". The difference is whether I'm called in as the inspector at the beginning of the job or after the crap has hit the fan and they need someone to cut through the debris.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Wrench Tech (**) Date 02-08-2010 14:07
Well, I was a little offended, I'll admit.  I was just commenting that heavy duty repair work, in my experience, is never inspected - who knows why.  Some of it should be.
And there's no need to justify an inspectors role in the welding trade.  I understand it's necessity.
But do we have to inspect every weld?  I think not. 
Tom
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-08-2010 14:22
I apologize if I offended you. That wasn't the intent, but I agree with you on the point you made. That is not all welds need to be inspected. There are hundreds, no, hundreds of thousands of welds made under the auspices of the Farm Code that are never inspected and they hold together just fine until the next repair. ;)

I hope you enjoyed this little conversation as much as I did Tom. It's been a pleasure reading your thoughts on this subject.

As my parting word on the subject, just let me say, the best inspector is the welder that made the weld. If the welder checked the material, checked the filler metal, checked the joint fit-up, checked the joint to make sure it was cleaned, and visually checked his weld beads after each pass, he most likely did a first class job. Like it or not, every weld is inspected by someone, even if it is the welder or to operator that is using the equipment.

Best reqards - Al
Parent - - By JMCInc (**) Date 02-08-2010 17:34
The level of professionalism and civility put forth during this discussion has been a breath of fresh air. Thanks for taking the time to contribute, your efforts are appreciated and respected more than you know.
Parent - By waccobird (****) Date 02-08-2010 17:44
JMCInc
I agree, I about bit my tongue off. But I kept my thoughts to myself and let Al's eloquence speak.
Marshall
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Boom Repair