Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Welding inconel pipe
- - By firstpass (**) Date 01-08-2010 00:44
What particular technique is required to weld inconel open butt pipe?  Carbon steel tig open butt flows quite easily if one rides the wire.  Does it require a wider gap?
Does it require a different motion with the filler rod?  Any info would be appreciated.
Parent - - By mightymoe (**) Date 01-08-2010 22:00
Pause on one side of bevel until it starts to breakdown then add wire. Go to other side and repeat. Some guys will dip and wash, adding filler metal to one side and washing it to the other. I prefer a 1/8+ gap. Feather down root and slow down, slow motion slow, for tie-ins.
Parent - - By rodofgod (**) Date 01-09-2010 00:50
Hi All!

Inconel is much more sluggish than welding everyday stainless steel! To begin with, you need to slow things down! Take your time! I have found regular S/S welders have more difficultly welding this stuff than welder's who have never touched the material in the first instance! Simply because they tend to rush things! When your used to it, INCO is the easiest root, fill and cap you'll do!

Be aware, this material likes a long 'fade-out' on the the arc!

Regards

Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 01-09-2010 02:00
Hi Glenn!

Could you please elaborate further on the term you use "Fade-Out" For some individuals in here who are not familiar with that term, and how it relates to your excellent comments regarding the welding of Inconel. ;)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 01-09-2010 16:35
   Henry don't you have to purge Inconel like you would S/S. It's has been a long time sense I have welded any but I think we purge it. I have never heard the term (Fade-Out) my self.

M.G.
Parent - - By rodofgod (**) Date 01-09-2010 23:35
Hi All!

Milton Gravitt, Yes Inconel does need to be back purged for the root run (or otherwise protected i.e solar flux etc.) and most likely the first fill ,just like regular stainless steel does! My use of the phrase 'fade out' should have read 'slope out'!

I hope that makes more sense!

Most Inco Alloys are very prone to crater cracking, when the welding arc is extinguished suddenly.

Regards
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 01-10-2010 02:54
HI Glenn,

I agree that "slope-out" would be more understandable to most folks even though I understood what you meant when you used the term "Fade-out" in that one would gradually slope down, or fade down the current to zero slowly enough to reduce the size of the crater to a dot either by programming it into the power source usually for automated applications although it is also used in applications where a foot control, or torch mounted amp control is not available (I've used many a GTAW torch where we had to use slope controls via the power source, and so have many other boilermaker welders as well because the contractor we worked for were too cheap to provide us with torch mounted amp controls. :( ), or to do it manually with the use of either a foot pedal current control or torch mounted current/amperage control as well in order to avoid exactly what you pointed out as crater cracks. ;) For pipe, I have always purged the root of the joint and continued to use a purge after the root pass for at least one other pass over the root pass, but this depended on the wall thickness of the pipe, WPS, etc. ;)

Hi Milton,
I personally have welded a huge amount of various Inconel grades, NiCu, CuNi pipe in Submarines and power plants as well as Inconel cladding in Crackers, Cokers, a wide variety of heat exchangers and pulp paper mills also. ;) If you have to weld it using SMAW it really is a "PITA" when it comes to the slag sometimes especially out of position, but like Glenn said earlier, it really is a pleasure once one gets used to the initial sluggishness with GTAW. ;)

Respectfully,
Henry
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Welding inconel pipe