Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Dummy leg end caps
- - By Inspector001 Date 01-11-2010 14:55
Most organizations have a spec that specifies the requirements of end caps on dummy legs with weep holes for 2'' pipe and larger.
In the event that this is not specified for small bore pipe such as 1'' and below, Does anyone know where to find a guideline for this??
Some places do not require end caps for small bore pipe!! Anyone know of a document guideline or reference?

Thanks!
Parent - By texasmike45 Date 01-22-2010 14:46
Our company has pipe support design specifications. I don't know of any guidelines requiring end caps, its just good engineering practice to have them. Our dummy leg specification requires line size diameter dummy legs up to 3" pipe, for larger line sizes the dummy leg is typically 1/2 the line size plus 1 size larger (ie a 4" line size requires a 3" dummy leg. Many of the end caps in our plant are plate and actually help stiffen the pipe. Also the plates are over sized (pipe diameter plus 1") to prevent the support from slipping off the I-beam. Being in South Texas I appreciate the end caps because we have a problem with bees during the summer and open ended pipes make a real nice home for them. Hope this helps.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Dummy leg end caps