Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / qualifying flare-V-groove weld per clause 4 D1.1
- - By Mwccwi (***) Date 01-13-2010 13:40
I am having send out coupons to qualify flare-v-grooves, there are no other groove weld configurations of this material combination in my project so just verifying flare groove size by macroetch is out because I still need to qualify the WPS for these joints. "4.10.4 If a WPS is not covered by either 4.10.2 or 4.10.3". My question is, if the joint I am trying to qualify is 2 formed parts basicly  formed 90 deree angles to to each other (kind of like to square tubes being welded together), I'm not seeing how i going to make this joint from the examples in figures 4.9 - 4.11, the flat plate butt joints do not simulate the joint I'm trying to get qualified.

Any Ideas?
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 01-13-2010 17:14
Mwccwi
A few questions come to mind before answers to your post can benefit.
What Process?
Why are you having to qualify them?
Can't the weld be worked from prequalified status? AWS D1.1/2008 Clause 3.11 Common Requirements of PJP and CJP Groove Welds
Is it a PJP Groove weld? Figure 3.3 Joint Designation B-P11 for SMAW/FCAW-S and B-P11-GF for GMAW and FCAW-G
Good Luck
Marshall
Parent - - By Mwccwi (***) Date 01-14-2010 10:26
A few questions come to mind before answers to your post can benefit.
What Process? GMAW – spray transfer
Why are you having to qualify them? -Material not listed in Table 3.1
Can't the weld be worked from prequalified status? AWS D1.1/2008 Clause 3.11 Common Requirements of PJP and CJP Groove Welds – No, see above
Is it a PJP Groove weld? Figure 3.3 Joint Designation B-P11 for SMAW/FCAW-S and B-P11-GF for GMAW and FCAW-G- (Is it a PJP Groove weld?) I guess it would have to be because the depth of bevel does not extend completely through the material or the joint. (Figure 3.3 Joint Designation B-P11 for SMAW/FCAW-S and B-P11-GF for GMAW and FCAW-G) what codes edition are you looking in at fig 3.3, I’m still using ’08 [have not seen a 2010 yet] joint designation numbers stop at 10 flare-bevel –I’m working with a flare-V-bevel.

What is confusing to me is based on the part of paragraph 4.10.4 that states-“ Then the excess material shall be machined off on the bottom side of the joint to the thickness of the weld size. Tension and bend test specimens shall be prepared and tests performed, as required for CJP groove welds (see 4.9)

Thanks for the reply
Parent - By waccobird (****) Date 01-15-2010 15:32
Mwccwi
Page 83 AWS D1.1 / 2008
Flare-V-groove weld (11)
Marshall
Parent - By wldgengr (*) Date 01-15-2010 15:04
Mwccwi

Would clause 31 of Table 4.5 cover your application? Qualify a PQR on a full penetration V-groove and then use it to write a WPS for your flare V-groove joint
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / qualifying flare-V-groove weld per clause 4 D1.1