Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Code used to qualify steel with tensile strength over 100ksi
- - By kinukkinuk Date 01-14-2010 15:24
I am a CWI with an OEM supplier that is vying for business in the government's military sector.

I am very familiar with D1.1, D1.3, and D14.3 codes as we have qualified many welding processes for steels over 1/8" and under 100 ksi tensile strength.

What code is used for qualifying welding processes using steels with tensile strengths over 100 ksi, as is seen quite often in military applications?

BMW
Parent - By spots (**) Date 01-14-2010 21:14
AWS D1.1 Section 4, Part B
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-14-2010 23:03
kinukkinuk,

WELCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM!!

Spots sent you to the right 'spot', oh, no pun or fun intended.  LOL.

While D1.1, Clause 1.2 does state the 'limitations' it also states that "the code may be suitable to govern structural fabrications outside the scope of the intended purpose."

So, when you go to the 'SPOT' spots referenced in Clause 4, part B, take a look at 4.7.3 in particular.  You also may want to make sure you are using a 2008 D1.1.   Don't know what changed as I am not looking at my 2006 but in 1.2 the whole thing is underlined designating change.  Nothing in 4.7 though. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By spots (**) Date 01-15-2010 13:27
There was a man who entered a local paper's pun contest. He sent in ten
different puns, in the hope that at least one of the puns would win.
Unfortunately, no pun in ten did
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Code used to qualify steel with tensile strength over 100ksi