Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Anyone Use a 652 w/ Low OCV?
- - By Blaster (***) Date 01-15-2010 04:54
I will probably buy a Miller Dimension 652 in a week or two.

I have several older ones now.  Miller has the old model, plus a new model for about $100 - $150 bucks more that has low OCV.  Presumably for operator safety.

My understanding is the Navy drove that train... not a bad concept.

This machine will be permanently installed outdoors in a wet environment, though it will have overhead cover to prevent direct rain contact (unless the wind is really blowing hard).

Obviously my experiece with older conventional inexpensive low OCV machines says "stay away".  However I am not familiar with what technology may be used to achieve low OCV with the newer Millers.

Any experience with them?  Input?  Stick performance lighting the arc?  6010 performance?
Parent - - By weldstudent (**) Date 01-15-2010 05:55
I dont know what you were taught when you were in training but my teacher told the class to stay clear of any welder with a OCV under 60.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 01-15-2010 07:05
Hello weldstudent, I'm chuckling a bit here because I am aware of blaster's position as a welding instructor of a very successful welding program and an extremely talented welder. The welding machine that he is inquiring about is one of the newer type technologies that is available from Miller that provides a low OCV to give an extra degree of safety to it's operator. This OCV is only present until the arc has been initiated, once that has taken place the arc is fired with an increased OCV just like most other machines. Your instructor has likely told you what he/she has, based on arc starting ability of older technology machines that produce less than 60 volts OCV(which causes hard arc starting), but not one of the newer types available from certain manufacturers that incorporate this type of advanced safety feature. Voltage limiting in wire feeders has been incorporated in a similar fashion for quite some time now, many were originally powered with 110V, most now are 24V to avoid dangerous shock hazards. Just a bit for your consideration. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By Regmanager (**) Date 01-15-2010 13:11
Miller has had not in use, low OCV for at least 5 years. You will see no difference in arc starting and it will weld as well as the old ones.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 01-15-2010 14:13
Hello Regmanager, I appreciate the updated and accurate information. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By Blaster (***) Date 01-15-2010 20:20
Regmanager - Thanks for the feedback.  So I wonder why they still build and sell the older version of the 652 Dimension without the low OCV?

Allan - Thanks for the kind words... your posts are always most gentlemanly.

Weldstudent - Haha, pretty funny.  Glad you were paying attention in that class!  And I am sure you remember that 60 OCV minimum recommendation was in reference to CC output only.
Parent - - By weldstudent (**) Date 01-16-2010 18:26
Aevald, Glad you got A laugh out of my post. I was having a bit of fun with Blaster, who is a great instructor, even if the solution to some of my problems is "Just do it like i did".

Boss, i did not recall that a low OCV was only bad for CC. I thought it was hard to use with CC and CV, thanks for pointing that out.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 01-16-2010 22:13
Hello weldstudent, I'm glad you didn't get bent by my reply and yes, you have a fine instructor and if you are able to observe, listen intently, and absorb even a small part of his knowledge and skill you'll do fine out in industry. It is sometimes difficult to breakdown all the fine details of how something should be done in a verbal sense, watching really is the only option at times. Similarly, a large part of your education will entail observing and determining what is BS and what is real, that of course, holds true for just about everything in life. Have a great day and best regards, Allan
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Anyone Use a 652 w/ Low OCV?