Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / AWS D1.1 vs AWS D1.5
- - By mmdbos Date 01-15-2010 12:45
I design temporary excavation support structures and typically use AWS D1.1 for the limited welding (i.e., field fillet welds) that I require for my projects.  A recent review by a state agency for a temporary structure came back wanting to change the welding code to AWS D1.5.  I do not have much experience with this code and was wondering if there was something out there that could provide a relatively simple comparison of the 2 codes so I can see if it is appropriate.  My client (the contractor) is not thrilled with making the change.

Appreciate any help you can provide.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-15-2010 13:04
What welding process does your client use to make these fillet welds?

I ask because D1.5 only recognizes SMAW as a prequalified process, so GMAW or FCAW will require running a PQR to qualify the WPS. I'm betting they use one of the processes that are not prequalified, so they are not thrilled about the switch.
Parent - By Duke (***) Date 01-15-2010 13:49
Let me guess... CALTRANS?  If it is, consider yourself lucky they don't want to change halfway through the project.
Parent - By waccobird (****) Date 01-15-2010 14:10 Edited 01-15-2010 14:20
mmdbos
Welcome to the Forum
Not Really enough Information to help other than saying,
No not with out buying the Code.
As John alluded to AWS D1.5 is more stringent than D1.1 and allows for less Prequalification in the welding processes,
Again Welcome to the Forum
Good Luck
Marshall
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-15-2010 14:43
mmdbos,

WELCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM!!

I would be hesitant to even start this without a copy of D1.5 in your hot little (?) hands.  There is much difference as to more stringent requirements to the Bridge Code (D1.5).  D1.1 is just a good foundation to start from, 1.5 builds a structure of a different kind all together.

I don't believe there is a "simple comparison" of them.  And as stated by others, the contractor probably knows this and that is why he is waffling.  The certifications, weld perameters, inspections, and more, will all be different.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 01-15-2010 18:09
We are talking about a decision made by a beauracrat here. In general they know doodly. But, AWS D.1.5 is a bigger number than D1.1, and we all know bigger is better, so I would guess there is no mystery to his justification. Its probalby about as logical as this.
I once had a city inspector test my knowledge of D1.1 by asking me to locate the prequalified joint configuration tables. When it took about 2 seconds he was convinced I knew my stuff.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 01-15-2010 20:53
Hey Jeff!

You really meant: "Diddly" like in Bo Diddly!!! :) :) :)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 01-15-2010 20:59
Diddly/doodly, it still beauracrats.  :)
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 01-16-2010 00:08 Edited 01-16-2010 01:12
So you're telling me that you don't remember Bo Diddly, and all you're thinking about are those dirty rotten beauracrats??? Now Bo Diddly was never a dirty rotten beauracrat -was he??? :) :) :) Seems like they put the cart before the horse in this scenario. ;) I wonder if Duke is right about these folks being Caltran?

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By Shane Feder (****) Date 01-16-2010 00:35
mmdbos,
Try this link.
It is a D1.5 vs D1.1 Comparison put together by pax23

http://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?pid=131569;hl=D1.5%3a2008

Regards,
Shane
Parent - By HgTX (***) Date 02-03-2010 17:39
Did you manage to convince them not to make the change?  D1.5 is for BRIDGES.  It annoys the hell outta me to see it specified for other stuff just because someone thinks that more is always better.

Hg
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / AWS D1.1 vs AWS D1.5