Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Tungsten
- - By CK Welding (**) Date 01-16-2010 02:49
Been praticing on some scrap stainless, 3/16 tungsten, 2% Thoriated at about 2nd gear and 30 on my 300D.  Seems like I have to re sharpen my tungsten quite often.  Wondering what I am doing wrong?  How often should you have to sharpen?  Thanks a bunch for responses.
Parent - - By swsweld (****) Date 01-16-2010 03:33
http://www.thefabricator.com/arcwelding/ArcWelding_Article.cfm?ID=1276

The geometry of the tungsten is very important. Look at the direction and geometry of the end of the tungsten in the picture and try to simulate that. The smoother the better. If you have a bench grinder with a rough and fine stone you can do the rough rock first then finish it with the fine stone. I sometimes use a flapper wheel on a grinder in the field to sharpen the tungsten when not around a bench grinder.
3/16 is pretty big tungsten. I don't know what amps you are running in 2nd gear and 30 but I would normally use 1/8 for moderate currents. Other than that it can last a long time if you never contaminate the tip by touching the tip to the metal other than the necessary scratch start.
Good argon coverage and no breeze or fans affecting the coverage is very important too. Gas lens and clean metal helps too. 
Parent - - By CK Welding (**) Date 01-16-2010 19:00
I have to apoligize,  The tungsten is 3/32 so that changes things alot.  Thanks for the response.
Parent - - By Blaster (***) Date 01-16-2010 19:26
Provided you are preping the tungsten appropriately for the application and keeping the end from becoming contaminated (not dipping it in the puddle or hitting with the rod), the point life should tie closely to amperage level.

Thoriated holds up pretty good.  At even very modest current levels I would blunt the end after sharpening.  A needle point won't carry too much current before it starts erroding, and certainly is to be avoided if scratch starting.

You should be able to go 'round and 'round a pipe many times before needing to dress a thoriated tungsten.

Sorry to be vague, but your question lacked details.

So what current level are you running on your 3/32", what kind of prep are you using, and what is the application?
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 01-17-2010 00:37
Prepping tungsten,
The rechargeable drill is the tungsten grinders best friend! Use a coarse grinding wheel (bench or side grinder, it makes little difference) to get ALL of the contamination out and reprofiled. Keep a water/quench cup handy to cool the tungsten. Then use a dedicated Tiger pad or other quality (zirconium oxide, ie. blue grit) sanding disc to polish them. When having to buy your own rods it is (I know it gets expensive!) probably better off in the long run to just to break off (or use cut-off wheel) the contaminated blob and then regrind. When you take short-cuts on the prep, it causes frustration down the road. The hot tungsten literally soaks up the liquid steel (or whatever you are welding) like a sponge and then allows it to "spit" into the puddle.
The smooth polish will help on the arc wander and let the plasma stream aim straight.
Parent - By scrappywelds (***) Date 01-17-2010 01:16
good tip is to cool off the weld puddle with the torch after  the arc is broken with an air cooled non hi - freq rig , it cools the stainless down and help extend tunsten life.
Parent - - By mtlmster (**) Date 01-17-2010 19:13
"Too Hot"!:  Is key in destroying a tungsten.  I imagine an ill experienced individual would accidently set the amperage too high.  Not much info to go on, so let me ask you a question, assuming you are properly dressing and preparing your tungsten, proper gas and volume, proper/clean cup, collet, collet body, when you strike an ark do you start out slow and let the metal heat up slowly or do you hit the pedal to the metal and start at full amperage.  If you do that, notice that your tungsten when extremely hot will began to spray; at this time you have probably ruined about 1/2" of tungsten.  Tungsten is like any other steel in one common denominator, you over heat it, the molecular structure changes and it is no longer as effective and efficient as it was when it was new.  You can't always rush TIG Welding, like you can if your wirefeeding or stick welding.  "Crank er up and go"!

When someone ask me what is the most important thing to remember when learning to TIG; My response is generally; Get Comfortable; preferably at a good workbench with a chair to sit in at the proper hight.  When you strike your arc, just give enough pedal to get a good solid start.  Make sure if your working on ferrous metal use DC- and make sure your hi freq. is on start, and not continuous.  Taking your time (MOST IMPORTANT) watch your arc and slowly increase your heat, let everything ie. tungsten, base metal; heat up together.  Give the inert gas time to do it's cleaning action.  By holding an arc on your work, but not immediatly creating a puddle you can see how the stainless will change colors as the gas and arc work together.  Eventually the base metal will heat up and you will find an exact position on your pedal where you can begin to make a puddle.  When your puddle becomes the size and consistency to add filler begin welding making fine amperage adjustments continously.

It's my opinion that there are more welders out there that don't realize, just how destructive and degrading, that too much heat have on steel, iron, aluminum, whatever.  Over my many years as the EFFIN WELDER (got that from another thread) (In the model shop that was my name) I've had to harden steel, anneal steel, bend steel, even bow steel with just a rosebud and water!  I have learned over that time that the hotter and the more molten I make metal, there is a direct correlation to the quality of the HAZ, and the actual joint strength.

BTW  What size base metal did you say you were practicing on?

One other thing, stainless gets pretty dirty while welding and is really one of the most unstable metals when welding.  I highly recomment back purging to insure proper penetration and a good bead on the backside.  I use Solar Flux Type B to back all of my stainless.  After brushing the residue I can use a pickling gel to clean it and restore the shine and color.  Can't even tell it's been welded.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Solar-Flux-Stainless-Steel-TIG-MIG-ARC-Welding-Material_W0QQitemZ220540072307QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3359367173

Take Care:
Steve
Parent - By CK Welding (**) Date 01-19-2010 01:21
I am running my 300D at 2nd gear and about 30 on 1/8 stainless sheet metal.  Thanks for the responses.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Tungsten