Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Calibrated tapeline tracible to a NIST standard
- - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-19-2010 12:28
I was trying to help out a small company get their tools in order for an initial audit, and they are missing a calibrated tapeline. So I started calling some sources that I had and was very surprised at the cost for a 100' tapeline with papers of calibration. Cheapest that I could find was $900....wowsers the cost of these things sure have skyrocketed over the years.

Does anyone have any links or sources for a cheaper deal?

For a tool that sits on the shelf and gets used one time a year, $900 is quite a pill to swallow.
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 01-19-2010 12:45
jwright650
Do they really need 100'?
I have a 50' we use for Confirming qualification of other tapes.
For over a century, Lufkin® tapes have been recognized as the standard for accuracy and high quality.
Lufkin® steel tapes are manufactured to government standards traceable to the U.S. Department of Commerce,
National Institute of Standards and Technology. Periodically, these standards are recalibrated with renewed
certification by the N.I.S.T.
LUFKIN® TAPE CERTIFICATION AND ISO
Many end-users are registering for ISO certification. If they use measuring tapes as part of their production
processes, it is advisable to establish procedures requiring the use of a certified tape as a master.
Lufkin® provides selected certified tapes in excess of 50' for standard charges (which include the purchase price
of the tape). Short tapes are not calibrated, but are checked for accuracy. Lufkin’s test procedures are traceable
to the National Institute of Standards and Technology. Prices and available certified tapes are available from
Cooper Hand Tools’ Technical Services Department.
http://www.cooperhandtools.com/customer_service/PDF/Lufkin%20550615.pdf
Good Luck John
Marshall
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-19-2010 13:12
the Lufkin that I checked on was $900, and yeah, they need the 100'. The materials they fabricate exceeds the 50'er.
I have a 100' Lufkin that was already here when I started doing QC stuff, but I know good and well that we didn't pay over $100 for the tape and the pull handle together.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 01-19-2010 12:49
John,
  When I was doing this sort of thing I always purchased top of the line, such as Starrett, and then had a company in Dallas calibrate/verify the item and provide documentation. I never exceeded $100 for any item for the calibration, usually $50 to $75. They would also send out reminders in advance of the next calibration date as a courtesy. Sorry but for the life of me I am unable to remember the name of the company I used there but it will come back to me later while I am away from my desk.

jrw159
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-19-2010 13:12
Thanks John.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 01-19-2010 13:33
John,
  OK I finally snapped, it was Aldinger Co.

http://aldingercompany.com/

I am sure this route would be much easier on the pocket book providing you can find someone in your area that does this.

Good luck,
jrw159
Parent - - By MICHAEL B (*) Date 01-19-2010 14:16
I have a Starrett 100' calibrated tape. Paid $80 for the tape and $100 for the calibration papers, back in Fall of 2008. Ordered it from a local supplier here in town.
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 01-19-2010 14:34
Yeah, that's right in line with what we were paying.

jrw159
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 01-19-2010 17:26 Edited 01-19-2010 17:37
Years ago, we had bought a Starret calibrated tape for aobut $500. Every inch was calibrated at +/- 0.005". 
Later on we needed another one but didn't want to pay $500+.

A company near us, NH Bragg, in Bangor Maine, supplied several to us for about $90 each.  The tapes are NIST traceable and have been through many audits since.

Their website http://www.nhbragg.com  I don't know the current prices but I'm sure they will ship anywhere.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-19-2010 17:38
Thanks Chet...emailed them a few minutes ago. Waiting for a reply.
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 01-19-2010 21:00
I bought a Lufkin, and sent it out for calibration, 35$ for the sticker and paper!
Parent - By eekpod (****) Date 01-20-2010 11:13
You can get one through MSC w/ certs tracable and it won't be nearly that much.  It takes a little longer becasue of the paperwork but they can do it if needed.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Calibrated tapeline tracible to a NIST standard