Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / codes
- - By weaver (***) Date 01-20-2010 00:29
what code is d17.1.  ?
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 01-20-2010 01:21
AWS D17.1 - Specification for Fusion Welding for Aerospace Applications
Parent - - By weaver (***) Date 01-20-2010 01:55
is there a test for this code?..  i am very unfamilliar with this one.. regards shannon
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 01-20-2010 03:45
Yep, there are tests Shannon.

There are a number of different alloy groups as well as limitations on thickness ranges, grooves, fillets, pipe/tubes.

The tests are governed by what will be done in production.
Parent - - By weaver (***) Date 01-20-2010 18:38
here is the deal.  this job is located in my home town, i don't live there right now, im contract welding in the oilfield.  i would like to go home.  i have no problem with any alunimum welding job. i always tig.  pipe, plate , thin or thick no problem.  so i don't want to seem like it's my first day on the job. you know what i mean :). i will call them and ask the applications for the welding project.. thankyou  shannon
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 01-21-2010 19:29
Weaver      It is impossible to give you any guess to particulars on the test without knowing the type of work the prospective company does but:  I will try to shed just a small amount of light on the possibilities of the testing.  

More then likely you will have to do multiple coupons per alloy group, 3-8.  These usually will have a minimum thickness set and maximum thickness set.   For manual GTAW welding you could be looking at  .020-.032   to  .125-.375    generally speaking.    They may or may not include the same set of joints in both sets.

EXAMPLE:  T6061   "Thin set"  6g on .500x.032 tube, 1f on .032 sh (without burn thru or suckback), 5g on .032 sh to .032x.500 tube, 1g on .032 sh (minimal distortion), "Thick Set"  1g on .250 sh, 1f  on .250 sh

That is just a general example of the types of joints you might encounter.  I know of one manufacturer who only requires a 1f and a 1g in each alloy group, but most places are going to qualify you out in much wider range.   

The types of material can be pretty wide but aluminum and SS are the most common.    You may encounter Hastelloy, Waspalloy, Inconel, Titanium and likely 4130 steel.

I hope that sheds a little bit of light on it.  Basically you should call them up and try to talk to QC or someone over the welding dept and get a better idea of what they are looking for   D17.1 is a standard, not a test, and it covers a lot of ground.   If you are good with the tig torch and not afraid of learning some new metals it could be a great thing for you to give it a shot.

good luck
Tommy
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / codes