Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Heat Cycle
- - By muhamad zuhdey Date 01-20-2010 06:44
Dear AWS members, i'm a new guy in welding world.. just to find out what is the truly mean of HEAT CYCLE..

any comment or suggestion
Parent - By waccobird (****) Date 01-20-2010 11:50
muhamad zuhdey
Welcome to the forum
Not really enough information to help.
Heat Cycle is not a word listed in AWS A3.0 Standard Welding Terms and Definitions.
How are you seeing it used?
Again Welcome and Good Luck
Marshall
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 01-20-2010 13:02
Heat cycle is a graph that represents the temperature change in  a welding as a function of time. It's represented on Temperature vs. Time coordinates.
Before starting the weld, the base metal temperature is room one. Then, after the seam is applied, the temperature rises sharply up to a maximum, where it stays for a few seconds, after which the temperature decreases slowly, until it reaches again room one. 
This graph is called Heat Cycle of a weld.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - - By muhamad zuhdey Date 01-21-2010 00:04
Dear marshall and Giovanni,

thanks for ur info..

actually, i'm going to raise a waiver from continous welding to more heat cycle welding.. but we do not have a strong point why we need to do that except for equipment setup and limited no of welder.
Parent - - By muhamad zuhdey Date 01-21-2010 03:45
Dear Frenz,

Another things, Heat Cycle is essential variables from our client spec...

What is ur all comment? any suggesttion?
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-21-2010 04:45
What comes to mind is what is sometimes referred to as "thermal history", which simply means how many times the metal been exposed to heat cycles that experienced excursions above the lower temperature of transformation, i.e., 1330 degrees F. That is when the transition from body centered cubic (ferrite / pearlite) to face centered cubic (austenite) starts to take place. 

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 01-21-2010 05:58
My experience has been similar to Als explanation.
Welding titanium, only one repair allowed - maximum 2 heat cycles as per the specification.
Regards,
Shane
Parent - - By Husairy Haron Date 01-21-2010 06:09
hi all,
i'm also new in welding
just wondering, what is the grain structure of titanium?
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 01-21-2010 06:13
Husairy,
I have no idea but there are some very experienced people on this forum who will be able to help,
Regards,
Shane
Parent - By Husairy Haron Date 01-21-2010 06:20
thanks shane.
Parent - By Stephan (***) Date 01-21-2010 10:38
Husairy Haron,

I am very much aware of not belonging to the group of people which Shane has described as being "very experienced" but very basically Titanium exists of two allotropes:

Up to ~ 883°C (~ 1621 F): Close packed hexagonal structure, referred to as 'alpha phase'.

Above ~ 883°C: Body centered cubic structure, referred to as 'beta phase'.

My humble advice would be to use the forum 'Search' function and to type 'Titanium' under 'Keywords' and 'ssbn727' under 'Poster'.

I can promise that you will be overwhelmed by the stuff you will find thereby. An amount of information for the forthcoming next years as it were.

Stephan
Parent - - By muhamad zuhdey Date 01-21-2010 06:22
Dear Shane,

1st welding (one applied heat), repair ( one applied heat) , and 2nd welding (one applied heat) already 3 heat cycle.. is it?

or repair considered no heat cycle? then going 2 heat cycle

but how about hi strength CS(usually used for jacket legs or Pilling system ) which have thickness more than 40mm( need to be completed more than 1 day to complete)...are 2 heat cycles is still valid and considerable?
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-21-2010 12:42
Different materials react to thermal cycles differently. Some aluminum alloys are time at temperature sensitive, i.e., extended exposure to high temperatures over ages the alloys thus they loses in strength, ductility, etc. Other materials are less likely to suffer adverse affects from repeated thermal cycles such as low carbon steel. Quenched and tempered steels may see many thermal cycles, but utilize maximum heat input to limit the size of the heat affected zone to minimize degradation of the mechanical properties within that region.

The welding engineer, with a substantial back ground in welding metallurgy, is usually well versed on how different metals will respond to thermal cycling (thermal history), heat treatments, etc. This subject is beyond the scope of training of most inspectors. There are times when additional resources are needed. This is such a case. The bulk of metals used on a worldwide basis is primarily ferrous metals such as carbon steels, low alloy steels, and high alloy steels such as stainless steels. They account for about 95% of the total tonnage used annually. That means nonferrous metals such as aluminum, titanium, etc. is used to a very limited extens, thus few inspectors have a firm understanding of nonferrous metallurgy.  They may be ill prepared to respond to how nonferrous metals and alloys will respond to various heat treatments, heat inputs, etc. For that we rely on codes and specifications that are developed by "experts" in those areas. Granted, some owners do not do their "homework" and the specifications they produce for specific projects may leave us wanting, but welding standards developed by organizations such as AWS, AA, CDA, NDI, etc. are excellent sources of information on the subject of proper welding of a wide range of materials. 

I have worked with titanium, zirconium, and aluminum. Some specification limit the number of thermal cycles and some do not. For additional information I defer to the organizations I have mentioned and I rely on the AWS Welding Handbooks as well as ASM references for information on those alloys for which I have limited experience.

I'm late for an appointment with a client, so I better run along.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Heat Cycle