Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / michigan
- - By weaver (***) Date 01-21-2010 01:22
anything happening in michigan? piping wise would be better.. regards shannon
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 01-21-2010 04:40
http://energysteel.com/ a former employer of mine.  They have work and are always looking for top notch welders.
Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 01-21-2010 18:55
say hello to my home state. nation leading unemployment.
Not much of anything happening there job wise unfortunately.
Parent - - By jim parker (**) Date 01-26-2010 13:24
Im from northern michigan. Ive been working in AR. Wish something would save Michigan!  would like to go back someday
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 01-26-2010 16:11
The only thing that will save Michigan would be an absolute house cleaning of all it's corrupt politicians.  Its certainly had its ups and downs but Chicago, New York and Philly all made great come backs maybe someday Michigan can too, lol....
Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 01-26-2010 17:27
it's not squeaky clean but corruption isn't out of control like russia.  The major industry (auto) has been going down the tubes for  decades and that has drained the state of both its' tax revenue and jobs.  I was from southeast michigan and I had many friends and relatives affected by layoffs.  It's rough in the whole state right now.
Parent - - By mightymoe (**) Date 01-26-2010 21:42
GO BLUE!
Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 01-26-2010 22:13
GO BLUE!
Grew up in Ann Arbor, Taught at UM, used to live next door to the big house. I'll save those stories for another day
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 01-26-2010 22:46
Hi Joel!

What did you teach @ UM if you don't mind me asking?

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 01-27-2010 21:16
As you know my age, you are probably wondering how I taught at university.

If you must know; I taught dance. More specifically what is generally known as  "break dancing" or "breaking" if you want to use the correct terminology. Among that I studied a particular style that was a little rarer. I had been doing it since I was young about, started practicing with the UM  group when I was still in high school and then taught later on (to pursue his PHD in biology) unlike the academic world credentials don't matter nearly as much as ability, so no one ever questioned my age. It was great while it lasted, I did many paying performances and gigs, as well as competitions. Met a lot of interesting people along the way was and was in a few music videos. But I had to give it up to finish my engineering degree. I never tell anyone in the metal trades that I dance, strikes up too many images of flash dance.

Different life time... There's videos of me floating around... but I'll never let those surface.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 01-27-2010 21:41
There's nothing wrong with teaching Dance Joel... I teach it still to this day!!! :) Specifically, I teach the Merengue, Son Montuno, Rhumba, tango, Salsa, Cha-Cha-Cha, Cumbia and other Latin dancing styles most folks would like to learn... I don't teach it as much as I did when I was healthy because I no longer have the stamina or the endurance required to sustain a consistent teaching skill level.

I always enjoyed teaching others my own family's culture and nowadays I focus more on educating interested folks in the origins of the Rhythmical styles of Latin music as I am a very fortunate owner of a very wide variety of music for a variety of Genre's, but especially Latin music in general and of course, Latin jazz also.

I also still play the percussion instruments of my culture too... The Congas, Timbales, y el Bongo as much as I can tolerate it because the "chemo" does take away a lot of one's stamina to play, but I play as often as I can. ;) To me, Music is the Rhythm of my life! ;) ;) ;) That is why I will continue to dance and play until I no longer can! ;)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By Metarinka (****) Date 01-28-2010 01:17
Interesting you mention that

I now do a lot of Latin dancing. Specifically Merengue, bachata, cumbia, and Salsa. I love it! I met an entire family who would regularly go out together and dance. They took me under their wing and I got hooked. I do it purely as a social activity with a diverse group of friends. If I get the chance I'll take lessons so that I'm more solid in my technique. It is much too fun. I wish now, that I was as good at partnered dancing as I am at solo break dancing.

I play music as well. Classically trained for 12 years. I had the chance to go to college for music performance, but while I love music it's a very rocky career. Now, I write music and perform as a DJ on the weekends, but for now it will remain a hobby.

It's interesting the turns ones life takes. For years I was always into the arts,  music, dancing, poetry, ceramics, painting I seriously entertained making  any of those my career. The artist folk who know me are surprised to learn I'm an engineer or welder.  The welders who know me are surprised to know I used to dance or toured Europe as part of a youth orchestra.  Life is too short to have myopic interests... I'm glad I had encouraging folk who let me do it all.

I'm by no means ashamed of teaching dance, but most folk have a preconceived notion of what professional dance is all about, especially when you get into the realms of break dancing.
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 01-27-2010 23:01
Joel,
  It sounds as if you were/are quite good at it. I, for one, would love to see some clips of this. :-) Surely you are not embarrassed by them. It sounds like a good off topic post with some links. Don't be shy and we will not misjudge you for your passion. Now ballet might get you laughed at, LOL. (Not really). :-)

jrw159
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / michigan