Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / using ambiant light to increase view
- - By bzzzzzzzzzz (**) Date 06-09-2002 17:19
I welded some things outside and in the sun. The visibility was suberb. My only question is does this reduce your protection? Do the outside lighting and the arc combine to potentially reduce your eye protection to harmful levels. I've heard of people illuminating work with halogen worklights too. I use a 10 shade with a gold filter and weld very light mig. It was almost scary how clear the view was in the sunlit area. Being completely new to welding of any kind the eye protection thing is one of my concerns. Seem to hear lots of ideas on what is adequate protecton or not.
Parent - - By welder_guy2001 (***) Date 06-10-2002 00:37
all welding lenses block UV rays no matter what the shade is...the only way you would hurt your eyes is if you use a shade that's too bright, and if you use that shade for too long. if it hurts YOUR eyes go to a higher shade. everybody's eyes are sensetive to different levels of light. if you see a blind spot after you're done welding, go to a higher shade. whether or not you have extra lighting or if you're welding in a completely dark room shouldn't matter as far as eye protection is concerned. just make sure you can't see the direct rays of arc light reflecting back into your helmet from something behind you and reflecting back to your eyes from the inside cover lens.

oh, and as a side note, watch yourself when you're welding outside w/ the sun at your back...sometimes the brightness of the sun shining into your hood will drown out the light from the arc and you won't be able to see anything.

and by the way...i was welding w/ a Century 220V mig yesterday (your's is a 120V) and it was great! nice and smooth and predictable. more than i expected from a generic brand machine.
Parent - - By bzzzzzzzzzz (**) Date 06-10-2002 02:54
I don't quite follow what you mean by reflecting back from something behind and into the inside cover lens.
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 06-10-2002 09:49
I believe what Welder-guy means is that sometimes, the arc will reflect off something behind you. White painted walls, shiny metal or whatever. Sunlight or reflected arc light can shine into your hood and make you unable to see through the welding filter plates. Kinda like someone shining a strong flashlight into the back of your hood.
CHGuilford
Parent - - By bzzzzzzzzzz (**) Date 06-11-2002 22:46
I see what you mean. If I can see clear reflections inside my welding hood before the arc is struck, will it effect my view after the arc is struck. View in general is still a problem with my methods. I can't weld if I can't see. ( Although I admit my lack of experience seriously effects my skills.) This is definitely a problem as it makes it impossible to follow any advice on technique when I can't tell what's going on with the weld. My welding hood is open on the back. Will this give extra problems with viewing the work during welding? I print for a living so I would consider my eyes very capable of detailed observation as my job requires it all day. My welding so far has almost been like running a print job with the lights off. I was using a no. 9 and switched to a 10. What should I look for, and how soon after welding, to signal not enough shade My eyes felt kind of "sore" when I used the 9, but I also had "viral crud" thing that could have been the culprit. (sinus headache stuff). Does it take some time for eyes to adjust to the dim light of welding. ( should I wait a few seconds with my helmet down before I strike an arc and start?) Also should I have my face really close to the arc?
Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 06-12-2002 13:47
Personally, I like to use the darkest filter I can that I can still see the puddle and the joint. I use a #12 for most everything. When I weld with FCAW for long periods at 250 amps or better, I find a 12 isn't enough so I use a 10 in the flip-up plate and a 4 or 5 burning plate in the hood (is that a 14 or 15 total?). Again, this is only what I like to use; most people will say it's too dark for them.
I keep my face away from the welding so that heat doesn't distort the plastic cover plate and smoke doesn't build up residue on the hood. Plus I don't have to breathe in all the fumes.
It helps to know what your joint looks like and where it goes so you know what to look for when your hood is down. I don't mean any "may the force be with you" stuff. But if you know what is there and what it should look like, it's easier to track the joint. It may help to start out with a little lighter filter and go darker later on (although your 10 should be fine.). Some people find the gold plated lenses help with visibility.
The biggest problem I see novice welders having is they are watching the arc but not the puddle or the joint. It's only natural to look at the brightest light in a dark place. But it's like driving a car with the sun in your eyes. You learn to look past the sun to see the road. (Or stop if it's too bad)
I would say if you are feeling any eye strain, or seeing bright dots after welding, you probably need a darker filter. Just keep it clean, practice so you know what the view should look like, and relax. Don't tense up and put your face in close unless you have to, sit back and "enjoy the view". Move your head to different positions to see what is comfortable and lets you see.
It also won't hurt to visit the website in the previous post to learn more.
Keep at it and you'll find what works for you.
CHGuilford
Parent - By welder_guy2001 (***) Date 06-13-2002 04:25
i had the same problem you have right now with welding in general. i read all the books i could get my hands on. but for some reason, no matter what i read, no matter how long i practiced welding, NOTHING compared to actually watching somebody else weld who knows what they're doing. and that same person can watch you and point out what you're doing wrong. words can only tell so much, but experience and a watchful eye can tell everything. you can get all the advice you want from these guys...and it's great advice-- i find myself learning a lot...but unless you have somebody to show you what these guys are talking about, it'll be a hard career/hobby to get used to at first.
Parent - By Wildturkey (**) Date 06-10-2002 12:07
bzzzzzzzz,
here is a link you should check out......there is a chart that i have seen somewhere that list the shade lens with amperage and welding process being used........just do a little searching and you may find it......maybe if you try a shade 9 you will be able to see indoors.....hope this helps
http://www.lincolnelectric.com/knowledge/articles/content/weldinglenses.asp
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / using ambiant light to increase view