Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Developing a Fracture Critical Plan FC Plan
- - By eekpod (****) Date 01-27-2010 11:26
I have been asked to look into the costs and what it would take to get the Fracture Critical endorsement from AISC.

I am going through D1.5 now. I will be getting w/ AISC today.

Can any of you who have this, or work with fracture critical elements give me a little incite into what it takes to get this program up and running?

What type of procedures need to be developed? welding procedures ect?  I have never worked with an FC plan.

Thanks in Advance Chris
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 01-27-2010 12:50
My best advice would be to contact someone like Atema. They most definately understand fracture critical. It will not be free but you will sail through the evaluation and have a rock solid program. You will also fully understand the system.
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 01-27-2010 17:30
Atema can certainly help you out.  And QMC.

In a nutshell. you need to have the equipment and quality systems in place that will help you to comply with Section 12, and you will need to make a Mock-up Girder (requirements are on the QMC website)

Some things you will need to address:
*Obviously you need a FC procedure (it's all about responsibility and documentation).
*PO's need to address "no welded mill repairs" "killed, fine grain practice" CVN requirements and etc
*You need to be certain the steel is OK before use; steel plates have serial numbers in addition to heat numbers so you need to document what is used where
*You will need a SAW PQR and WPSs qualified to Sec 12.  (Major difference is the CVN temp is colder than noin-FC requirements). 
*Naturally you will need to own, rent, or borrow some SAW equipment.
*FCAW PQR's also require colder CVN temps.
*SAW flux oven capable of reaching 550 deg F.
*Controls in place to track/limit FCAW atmospheric exposure time.
*If you use a flux recovery system, you need a magnet in it somewhere (you could simply never re-use flux but be realistic)
*Welders (any process) must qualify within 6 months of the beginning of FC work (non-FC continuity doesn't count); test plates requie RT as well as bend tests.  FC Ccontinuity can be be maintained by RT of production welds.
*Final NDE is performed 48 hours min. after welds are completed and cooled (varies by steel grades)

Those are just a few of the major differences.  None of it is hard to do, just that unless you do FC all the time (or even if you do for that matter) it's easy to overlook the dofferences - and backtracking is not very easy to do.  But, judging from other posts you have written, you'll do OK with it.
Parent - - By HgTX (***) Date 02-03-2010 16:20
I'd like to lobby (even though it's not an AISC requirement) to include in your plan how you handle making sure your workers know the difference between FC & non-FC work (and bridge and non-bridge work, if you do that).  If you have a plan for that, it'll save you some mistakes down the line.

Hg
Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 02-03-2010 17:25
You make a very good point.  Communication is a wonderful thing - but people easily forget what was communicated.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 02-03-2010 18:00
Well then here's a suggestion... How about coming up with a simplified enough wall chart which the employees can use as a reference point to determine how to distinguish the differences between an FC and Non-FC component after some concise training prior to hanging up the reference chart in the shop???

I know it's not that simple to do but, it will pay for itself in preventing any future mistakes on such components due to the employee not being trained enough to be capable of distinguishing the differences between the two different types of components and that in itself increases quality control as well as quality assurance overall. ;)

I think it's something to consider at the very least, and if the training curriculum is thought out intelligently, and designed where the employee can comprehend relatively easily the purpose of the training then the overall costs for implementing the training as well as the implementation of the reference charts in the shop should be acceptable as long as proper communication is used in explaining the reasoning of this sort of training to both the bean counters as well as the employees also! ;)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By HgTX (***) Date 02-03-2010 18:15
Where I've seen issues most often is in shops that do both bridge & structural work, and move someone over from the structural side of the house to the bridge side of the house without making sure he understands the differences between D1.1 and D1.5.  For example, what might be routine practice on a non-bridge member is an Unauthorized Repair OMG WTF BBQ on a bridge member, and fun is had by all.

Hg
Parent - - By Duke (***) Date 02-04-2010 23:39
"BBQ"???
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 02-05-2010 02:18
That means an "enjoyable" party caused by someone who has no idea that his/her albeit well-intentioned actions has drawn the undivided attention of everyone from the foremen to the company CEO - right on up to the top ranking DOT official. "BBQ" is really not descriptive enough to capture the level of heat generated.  (Don't ask me how I know this)
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-05-2010 13:10
[quote]"BBQ" is really not descriptive enough to capture the level of heat generated.  (Don't ask me how I know this) [/quote]

LOL...I have to chuckle at this...I think I know exactly what you mean. (Been there, bought the T-shirt) ;-)
Parent - By HgTX (***) Date 02-05-2010 16:07
TLA
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-27-2010 17:39
Good Luck Chris...let us know how you make out.
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 01-27-2010 23:46
thanks for the info guys. I already spoke to Atema and they do cover FC as part of their bridge class.  We may bid a local bridge project and some of it will be FC so still putting info together for the owner.  Keep you updated.  Chris
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 02-03-2010 21:49
We decided to not bid this project, so I won't need the FC plan at this time.

Thanks for the input from everyone.
Chris
Parent - By HgTX (***) Date 02-03-2010 22:34
Might as well develop it on paper.  The next time a potential job comes up, you might not have the time to develop the plan *and* get the audit completed during the period before your bid is due.

Hg
Parent - By dmilesdot (**) Date 02-04-2010 18:51
If you ever need to get ready for an AISC certification give ATEMA a call, your only cost to find out what they have to offer is the phone call.  But my opinion is biased, just a little.
Dave
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Developing a Fracture Critical Plan FC Plan