Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Best welding schools?
- - By smithcd2208 (**) Date 01-27-2010 21:38
I can't speak for the world cause i have never left the states, but i believe i am attending the best welding school in the country. Check it out. http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=C14F04C7E9A246C5
Parent - By chris2698 (****) Date 01-28-2010 00:04
no sh*t I'd say that looks like a good school. I like the fact they learn both up and downhill welding. Wish I could have gone to something like that. Probally would have learned alot more
Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 01-28-2010 18:22
One of the top ranked welding schools is WCC in Ann Arbor Michigan.

produced something like 5+ national welding championships, haven't lost states in over a decade, and we've had a few place in international championships.  Long story short around there they don't accept low caliber welds from anyone, and I was surprised what I could get away with when I transfered to a different program.  They are tough as nails but you come out ahead of most other grads.

I don't think there's an officially recognized ranking, but few if any other schools have produced as many competition level welders.
In the end though it doesn't really matter as long as your satisfied with the education you get. I know I was.
Parent - - By weldstudent (**) Date 01-29-2010 16:29
the world doesn't need welders who are taught to make "championship" welds. what we need is level headed think on your feet welders who can look at the print. and build the project with no supervision. we need people who can see an issue and correct it with the skills in there head. i go to the school in the video and i have cause to believe (although i am bias) that this is the best training program anyone could join.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 01-29-2010 16:54
Hello weldstudent, as an instructor, myself and any other instructor can only hope that our students feel as you do about your program. That is definitely the type of compliment that all of us would hope for. You ARE in an excellent program, I believe I have told you that before, but maybe not in so many words. Keep believing in your instructor and the instruction you are receiving, you will go far and provide yourself with a very rewarding career. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 01-30-2010 22:35
Hello everyone, I have read the various responses in this thread and I have also re-read my statements here. Everyone will always have an opinion on any given topic and generally there are plenty of reasons and logic behind the opinions that support a particular individuals train of thought. Welders, fitters, engineers, estimators, QC personnel, and anyone else that has anything to do with our trades will come to their positions in any number of ways. Some will work their way up through the school of hard knocks, maybe they will have very little "formal" education, maybe everything that they have learned will come from observation, interaction, questioning, personal research, practicing on their own, or any number of other ways that don't follow educational or apprenticeship type learning(formal apprenticeship that is), that certainly doesn't mean that they are not capable of doing a very proficient, skilled, or competent job. Similarly, a great number of others will take a different road and possibly go through all of the available schooling and apply themselves above and beyond the general path that many might take, they are likely to have all of the drive and passion that is required to achieve greatly once they have transitioned into real-world jobs, they might also opt to go into formal apprenticeships to further their knowledge and skills in a particular field. Yet others, will utilize a combination of these learning opportunities, they might very well have employed a mixture of schooling and real-world training to get them to where they are. Regardless of the particular path that is chosen, it is up to the individual in any case, as to how much energy, drive, passion, etc. that they are willing to put forth. Ultimately, this is the bottom line and will truly determine your degree of personal success.
     Not intending to take ANYTHING away from the truly amazing individuals who are a part of the Skills USA competitions, I do believe there are individuals who are potentially equally talented and gifted, yet, due to not having the resources or opportunities available, they may not receive the same type of recognition or be recognized in the same manner. Most of these individuals however, will certainly do well once they go out to work simply because of their abilities, skill sets, drive, and ambition. I was a VICA welding competitor many years ago and did reasonably well in competition, placed in the upper portion at the nationals. I saw many others while involved in those competitions and certainly appreciated their skills and attitudes, I have no doubt that pretty much all of them have gone on to have successful careers. Once I went on to have my career I worked with any number of talented individuals, I can guarantee that learning took place at many levels and occasions and the ones teaching me had learned their particular skills in any number of ways, both formal and informal. There was a "paper" that was posted on the forum a few years back describing schooling and discussing the expectations, challenges, and a host of other things that folks could expect once they had completed "school", the main message of all of this was to let everyone know just how small "schooling" really was when compared to going out and living life, having a family, maintaining a career, earning a living and CONTINUING to LEARN(it never really stops, or at least it shouldn't). This paper also emphasized listing some important points to live by while accomplishing all of this: Listen....Learn....Share. In the Listening portion there was a statement that one of your talents while engaged in any trade would be to determine the truth from the hype, essentially this plays out along these lines: you will hear any number of statements by any number of people which will tell how and why to do any number of things, you will hopefully acquire the SKILL to determine the "truth from the hype" and LEARN.
     I believe Metarinka said: that so long as you are happy with the learning that has taken place at your particular place of learning that's all you really need to concern yourself with, or something along those lines. I would additionally include that "knowlege is power", don't know who coined that, but, it is a fundamental statement and many things revolve around it, striving for it will bring you much success, in possibly both good and bad ways, depending on how you put it to use. Knowlege is not exclusive to schools, it is all around us and can be received in any number of ways, being able to recognize knowledge and put it to good use is perhaps one of the best skill sets that anyone can hope to master. I'll just finish out by saying that learning can take place on any number of levels and be valued in any number of ways, we can learn from the most knowledgeable individuals on the planet and we can also learn from infants. Well, I'm off to learn something new, please don't crucify me too badly for the dissertation here. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By Firechicken Date 01-31-2010 01:29
I have to aggree, if you are happy where you are, and you are being challenged on a daily basis then you probably are in a good program. I do think that If a championship welder can put in welds that are so good that they have people lined up to hire them, then they must be pretty good welders. im sure there are also people out there who are equilly good, but have never competed though. Nice videos BTW, i take the tour of that shop every day ;)
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 01-29-2010 17:40 Edited 01-29-2010 17:45
Nice that a green student knows so much about what the world needs.

Those Skills U.S.A. and other "championshp" competitions require. excellence in print reading, all position welding in all processes, the ability to walk cold into a strange shop and set up multiple power supplies and make welds better than everybody else in the competition with a pack of crusty old CWI's standing over their shoulders and no coaching allowed.

I know in my neck of the woods the training they do for these competitions are limited extra hours they must agree to put in above the standard curriculum.

If the world did not need these "champions" those very champs would not have a flock of employers waiting for them when they step down off the podium, offering them immedate high dollar work. Nor would there be schollarships awarded to these hard workers.   I've seen employers line up at regional and state competitions to look at the welds and the welders and have bidding wars right on the shop floor!

Competition in schools isn't for everybody and it's a nice thing you are in a strong program, but your standing in judgement and condemnation of the excellent students who take part in these championship is stupid. But I'm also not too worried... The big dogs rarely listen to puppies..
Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 01-29-2010 18:36
This is very true. I've had the pleasure of working under 4 nationals winning skills USA welders, and their weld quality is unreal.

I don't think their needs to be a pissing match about which weld school is better. but I was glad I went to WCC as they had some skilled instructors and good facilities and they got the best out of us students. We didn't have so many champions by coincidence, they just didn't allow us to get away with anything less.
Parent - By Blaster (***) Date 02-03-2010 02:23
I competed in VICA welding.  It was a good experience.  The anxiety of knowing a bunch of strangers are going to closely scrutinize your work, and directly compare you to others helps to inpart a real and immediate sense of importance to practice time.  Plus you don't want to embarass your school or instructor so that adds performance pressure as well.

It is good to get guys used to performing under pressure.  That is a very important skill in itself.

Glad you guys like your training, and are taking the time to get involved with AWS.  There is a real wealth of knowledge here.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Best welding schools?