Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Please tell me this is wrong.........
- - By flamin (**) Date 01-28-2010 20:35 Edited 01-28-2010 20:49
I just ran across something that I just had to share with you all. I'm going over some drawings for a job, and in the list of notes, the engineer calls out to weld in accordance to D1.2, and goes on to list SEVERAL of the quality requirements associated with the code.............yada yada.......Apparently he really wants to make sure everything is done just right. No problem. Then down towards the bottom of the list of notes, there is a note that says,.........and I quote " Crater cracks and overlap not exceeding .38 in length ARE acceptable at the origin and termination of all welds" WTF kind of call out is that? I'm not an engineer, but.........

Jason
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 01-28-2010 20:57
Maybe he had a welder review and add his own notes :)
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-29-2010 14:27
On the other hand, it is amazing how one little three letter word can make a MAJOR difference in how general notes get interpreted.

I would be willing to bet that someone dropped 'NOT' out of the sentence.  BUT, I am not an engineer either and I sure didn't write that set of notes.  Definitely time for an RFI in my opinion.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-29-2010 16:59
It is not uncommon to experience cold starts when using GMAW on aluminum and crater cracks are a common occurrence. If I'm not mistaken, D1.2 used to allow for a crater crack when making an intermittent fillet weld provided the crack is confined to the crater and the requirement for the length has been met. That is to say the intermittent fillet weld is longer than required so that the crater crack is not included in the minimum length. That was changed in the 2003 edition to say "shrinkage" is permitted provided it is contained within the crater. Shrinkage in my mind is the "crater crack" prevalent in GMAW welds on aluminum. In my opinion the word "shrinkage" is not well defined and open to interpretation.

As is the case with AWS standards and codes, the responsible design professional, i.e., EOR if you are dealing with a building, can modify the requirements of the applicable standard provided the owner/customer is in agreement. As per clause 1.1, a change, modification, or interpretation is within the scope of the engineer's prerogative. Remember, the engineer as used by the code is the owner’s representative, not the fabricator’s engineer.

This would be one of those situations where clarification is warranted. A technical inquiry would be the route to follow if the situation is such that the fabricator, engineer, and owner could not come to a mutual agreement.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By flamin (**) Date 01-29-2010 17:54
Thanks for the clarification Al.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Please tell me this is wrong.........