Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Inspection Procedures
- - By gold eagle Date 01-28-2010 20:50
Does anyone have information for gold brand inspection procedures?
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 01-28-2010 22:38
????
http://www.chinagbd.com/en/info.php?info_id=12

???
http://www.inspectorate.com/technical_expertise/gold_services.asp?gclid=CMuvvseSyJ8CFQYMDQodNQEHEQ

Welcome to the forum Gold Eagle!

Never heard of gold brand inspection procedures before...   Can you say more about them... A web search did not bring much up.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-28-2010 23:25
Welcome to the AWS Welding Forum Gold Eagle.

Never heard of any such thing.  Can you give us more info?  What type of work is it supposed to apply to?  What country or part of this country?  Who did you hear about it from, inspector, city, Feds, etc.?

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 02-01-2010 17:38
I think that by "gold brand inspection procedures" gold eagle means inspection procedures (on what, he doesn't say) issued by highly respectable and prestigious companies.
There are three ways of performing inspection of engineering equipment, material and services.
1st. The client doesn't have his own inspection procedures and appoints an engineering company who has. In this case, inspection is carried out following the engineering company's procedures.
2nd. The client has his own inspection procedures but doesn't have enough inspectors to carry out inspection within the required time, and appoints an engineering company to supply the necessary number of inspectors. In this case, inspection is carried out following the client's procedures and the engineering company's task is limited to supply the necessary manpower to do the job on time.
3rd. The client has his own procedures and enough inspectors to do the job and doesn't need to appoint any company to help him.

Back in my days of project engineer I've worked according to the three ways.
But what about the inspection procedures you're asking for? They've been developed by a company (the client or the engineering company) based on their knowledge and experience and are considered his confidential property, and so will not given to third parties for free.
Some general guidance (i.e., what to do, but not how to do it) you'll find on the applicable standards, i.e. API 650 for storage tanks, ASME VIII for pressure vessels, ASME B31 for piping and so forth.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - - By gold eagle Date 02-18-2010 17:16
Thank you very much for your insight. I have been looking for inspection procedures for a structural welding fabrication shop so i could pass them along to my superiors. There is a need to compare with other procedures for efficiency and thoroughness. There maybe some areas to improve in our quality manual to make it mandatory to follow procedures that implement hold areas after welding and before shipping.
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 02-18-2010 18:58
If by "structural welding" you mean structural steel, access the AISC site: www.aisc.org
AISC is the American Institute of Steel Construction. There's a lot of material in their site.
Good luck!
Giovanni S. Crisi
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Inspection Procedures