Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Inspection Procedures
- - By gold eagle Date 01-28-2010 21:02
Where would I find developed weld inspection procedures for a structural fabrication shop?
Parent - - By spots (**) Date 01-28-2010 21:44
[insert smart a$$ remark here]
Parent - By gold eagle Date 02-18-2010 16:32
Ha, well i was kinda hoping to start something here.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 01-28-2010 22:40
AWS D1.1  Structural Welding Code-Steel,,   Section 5
Parent - By gold eagle Date 02-18-2010 16:34
Yes, I have had little support for stopping material at the hold area after welding and before shipping.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 01-29-2010 01:20
In the shops quality manual. :-)

jrw159
Parent - By gold eagle Date 02-18-2010 16:39
There are sections that I noticed in the QM that need to be fine tuned. My first step was to get the inspection procedure implemented as a habit then change the quality manual to accommodate. Looks like I'll need to switch it around and say sorry, this is what it says in the QM so follow it.
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 01-29-2010 03:26
As a general rule of thumb, the key word is "developed". Each shop (unless they are a farmcode shop) should have a quality program, and one of the criteria of a quality program will be control and generation of procedures. Who, what, when, how etc is covered under that program. Those procedures should be under that program.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-29-2010 17:09
It sounds like you are looking to purchase a "can" inspection procedure. That is a dangerous route to pursue because any procedure will work best if it is tailored to suit your needs. I can sell you a “canned” procedure that would contain elements that have nothing to do with your product or the way your company operate.

If you want to write a generic VT procedure the is implemented by an individual inspector, I would start with ASME Section V to see what elements are included in the written procedure and what information should be included in the VT report. You can modify the recommendations to suit your particular needs.

There are times when you need to recognize your limitations, bite the bullet, and hire an outside consultant. It is best to work beside the "consultant" so you can learn from the experience and be better prepared the next time you encounter a similar situation.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By gold eagle Date 02-18-2010 17:06
I like the caption that you chose.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Inspection Procedures