Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Process controls / parameters for TIG
- - By M.Lindsey Date 06-12-2002 15:35
I have been helping a supplier resolve some porosity problems that have occured when TIG welding small diameter (.375 OD) 6061-T6 aluminum tubing. We performed a design of experiment where we controlled certain factors in the process to see which affects the porosity the most. Some of the factors included cleaning method, nozzle diameter, filler rod supplier, current frequency, and shielding gas flow (argon). We were not able to produce any definite results pointing us to a direct cause. Does anyone have any input or thoughts on what type of controls that are needed to be establashed to reduce or eliminate porosity on aluminum welds? Thanks.
Parent - - By mcwelding (**) Date 06-12-2002 23:55
hey m,
FIRST OF ALL, POROSITY in alum is from hydrogen. second, is what are ya cleanin it with? what is yer CUP dia.? what flavor filler metal are you using? either 4043 or 5356 works best for 6061. if yer gonna get it annodized, use 5356. you should be usin ac with high freq, but also dc ( i forget what polarity) will work for thin gage alum. isoprophol alcohol is the best, safest cleaner to use. make sure you ss wire brush the area to be welded to remove alum oxide. make sure you dont have no finger prints on yer tungsten and alum. cause it has oils in it. DO NOT add filler metal until you see shiny molten alum. (if yer using filler rod). are ya gettin any black soot? also you cant scratch start alum., you will get contamination. i hope yer filler rod is no bigger than .032. what is yer gas flow, shouldnt be very high so you dont get the venturi effect which starts to suck in attmosfere. maybe like 15-20. i have never welded such a small size alum. but im tryin to help. lemme know how ya make out. im not a great teacher, but if i was there, we could make it work. make sure you arent using acetone or some other residew leavin substance.
hope this helps,
rich
Parent - By M.Lindsey Date 06-14-2002 14:13
Thanks for your feedback. We were using a flow rate of 30 and 50 CFH to see what kind of results we would get. We will try a lower setting to see if that improves it. I also received some goodfeedback from other individuals which was a help as well. The small diameter tube does make it hard to remove any hydrogen and it only seems to happen using the smaller diameter tubing. Thanks.
Parent - - By welder_guy2001 (***) Date 06-13-2002 04:41
the biggest problems w/ porosity on aluminum is either dirty aluminum, or a problems w/ the gas flow. make sure there are no drafts in the area of the weld 'cause that blows the shielding gas away. most people always want to ventilate a welding area, but in the case of MIG and TIG there is a such thing as too much ventilation. and if the alum. is dirty, oily, or still has the oxide coating on it, you'll end up w/ porosity. it's not like welding steel...welding alum. is a lot like surgery...everything is cleaned, and even if it looks clean, it's cleaned again.

you never said if you were butt welding the tubing, or fillet welding it. if you're butt welding it, your problems could be because you need an argon purge on the inside of the tubing to keep the atmosphere from touching the inside of the bead. which brings up another thing...clean the inside of the tubing if you're butt welding it. that oxide is all over any exposed surface of alum. make sure you're using a stainless steel brush of some kind when stripping off the oxide.
Parent - By M.Lindsey Date 06-14-2002 14:21
Thank you for your feedback. Cleanliness is one of the main factors we are looking into since that is the main sources of porosity caused from hygrogen. The purging method sounds interesting. Thanks for the thoughts since this one has had us scratching our heads for sometime now. It is a smaller diameter tubing that we are butt welding for a heat exchanger and it only seems to be a problem with the smaller diameter tubing because of having a small window for the hydrogen to escape before the weld cools.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 06-13-2002 14:10
Here is a good link with a condensed article by Howard Cary, my choice for welding textbook authors.

http://www.welding.org/newsletters/summer1998/aluminum.html

Observations:

MCWelding notes correctly that most porosity in aluminum welds are caused by hydrogen mainly, and surface contaminants solidifying inside the weldment. How it's getting there is the big question. My first thought in this regard is that your tube diameter is pretty small. If your welder is moving a bit too slowly, the excessive heat buildup can be a cause of hydrogen absorption.

Secondly a small diameter, aluminum tube is tough to weld in position. Often times its difficult to keep a consistent torch angle <which is critical>, this in turn can have negative effects on both penetration and gas coverage. If you have access to a rotating positioner, those welds might be made at top dead center, with a more consistent torch angle and at a much quicker pace <with practice> thus lowering heat input and boosting production time. You may also want to try a gas lens style collet to improve argon coverage, if you do this you must check periodically to make sure the screen mesh is in good conditions as AC operations can quickly deteriorate gas lenses.

Surface preparation: All cutting fluids or rough edges need to be removed. All surfaces must be prepped as outlined; this includes the butting faces of the tube. Isopropyl Alcohol, TriChloroEthane or Acetone are all suitable cleaning agents that leave no residue according to the majority of aerospace specifications. Each of the afore mentioned cleaning agents have safety and health and environmental considerations which must be taken into account. You may obtain an MSDS (material data safety sheet) wherever you purchase your cleaning fluids.

Other variables which require diligent consideration include Tungsten selection <Zirconium or Cerium> and cleanliness (the electrode must be perfectly clean for each arc strike). Any contamination must be reason to stop work and immediately redress the electrode. A dirty tungsten can make every weld in a series fail X-ray. Also Balance control settings too far toward max penetration (overextending dwell time on the straight polarity side of the half cycle) can cause porosity and poor surface appearance, this is especially true if less than perfect pre-weld surface prep is in evidence.

After considering all this stuff if you have more questions just ask.
Parent - - By M.Lindsey Date 06-14-2002 14:28
Thank you for taking the time to provide a considerable amount of information! The article from Howard Cary was a help as well. Every bit of information or another ones perspective is always helpful when troubleshooting. I will find out if the welder is cleaning the electrode after each strike. This porosity is not an ongoing issue and only appears on an infrequent basis. I just wanted to make sure we covered everything when we performed the experiment. Your comment on the small diamater tubing and torch angle was one of our factors that we were concerned with as well. Thanks again. It was very much appreciated.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 06-14-2002 15:58
Let me make myself a little more clear in the matter of Electrode cleaning. The electrode must be cleaned after any instance of contamination occurs, rather than after each arc strike. What we can't do is continue working after we "dip our wick":

Keep us posted as to how your results are progressing.

Lawrence
Parent - By Slagindaboot (*) Date 06-14-2002 20:46
Let's not forget clean gloves too. Handling your parts or filler with dirty gloves will contaminate the process.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Process controls / parameters for TIG