Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / New Solar Plant
- - By DHPatton (*) Date 01-30-2010 02:07
I have read an article in the Walls Street Journal about a huge solar plant being built in New Mexico. Anyone have any info on this one? I asked for help finding contact info on a big job in Hawkins, Tx. but this job would also be another good one. It is supposed to last a couple of years. Supposed to generate like 600 megawatts. And be on about 700 acres. There are also quite a few articles about this one on the net but again no contact info. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.
Parent - By welder_Bob (**) Date 01-30-2010 19:20
The solar field will be west of Las Cruces, NM if it even happens.  At this point it is nothing more than a political dream.  No land has been acquired and no environmental impact study has been schedule.
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 01-30-2010 23:03
It' a bit more than a political dream. Sempra energy is involved, and my understanding the FEED docs are done, and ground is being broken.
Parent - - By welder_Bob (**) Date 01-31-2010 06:14
Nope, that’s not the one I am talking about.  According to the meetings I went to in September at The Re-Energize New Mexico Conference at New Mexico State University.  The plant west of Las Cruces will be Duke Energy and NMSU.  Nothing has happened that I know of yet.  But I haven’t been out there since December when the in-laws were in town and wanted to go out and see where it is to be built. 

Also at the meetings, BP Solar of San Francisco, CA and EnergyNovo of Elephant Butte, NM announced plans to build a $130 million, 22-megawatt photovoltaic solar plant near Elephant Butte.  Officials say the 160-acre site will be BP Solar's first New Mexico plant.  They say the plant could be in operation by late 2010, employing 50 to 100 people.  I don’t know of anything happing up there yet, but I haven’t been up there in a while.

The only ones that are making any progress according to last weeks news paper article.  Public Service Company of New Mexico has signed a contract with an Arizona company to build five utility-scale solar power plants in New Mexico.  Tempe-based First Solar would build the plants at five sites in PNM's service territory.  The plants would produce 22 megawatts of new solar capacity.  PNM says that's enough to supply 7,000 homes.  PNM president and CEO Pat Vincent-Collawn says construction on the first site could start as soon as 2011.  The sites will be chosen based on cost, availability, their solar potential, the level of local support and other factors.  The contract would be the first project under an agreement reached between PNM and environmental and energy groups earlier this month pending approval by the state Public Regulation Commission.
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 02-01-2010 05:39
This article is about a plant being built by a Spanish company...

http://asmcommunity.asminternational.org/portal/site/www/NewsItem/?vgnextoid=7531facf56476210VgnVCM100000621e010aRCRD

Now, I don't know if it's the same one, but I just ran into it looking for something else. ;)

Respectfully,
Henry
- By DHPatton (*) Date 02-03-2010 02:07
I believe this is the plant I have been reading about but i couldn't find any contact numbers anybody have any contractors name and numbers?
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / New Solar Plant