Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / code for multi pass welds
- - By John Russo Date 02-01-2010 11:11
Could someone tell me what the code is for a 3/8 fillet weld if it has to be a multi pass weld or what? I'm usung a 3/32 flux core wire and someone told me that this weld must be  a multi pass weld. Thank you
Parent - By waccobird (****) Date 02-01-2010 11:58
John Russo
It would be better answered if there was more information, what code mainly.
AWS D1.1 in Clause 3.7.3.2 Single Pass Fillet Weld lists 5/16" as the largest single pass fillet weld for FCAW.
Good Luck
Marshall
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 02-01-2010 11:59
Is this a structural weld?
Petroleum Service?
Steam service?
Nuclear?
Depending on the service it could be either single pass or multi pass
And then it would come to what the specifications and welding procedure calls for or requires.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-01-2010 17:44 Edited 02-01-2010 19:31
In order to provide a reasonable answer you would have to at least tell us what the application is. Then, even if you don't know which code is applicable, we can at least make a wild guess as to which code is appropriate for the application.

Marshall, check your reference. The clause cited (3.7.3.2) is a subordinate clause of 3.7.3 for unpainted weathering steel. Table 3.7 of D1.1-2006 would be more appropriate for general structural applications. The size of the single pass fillet weld is dependent on the welding position as well as the process if D1.1 is applicable.

If D1.1 is applicable, Table 3.7 lists the following maximum size limitations for single pass fillet welds:

Flat - 1/2 in.
Horizontal - 3/8 in.
Vertical - 1/2 in.
Overhead - 5/16 in.

Not only should you be cognizant of the maximum size single pass fillet welds, but you should be aware of the minimum single pass fillet weld sizes based on the thinner of the two base metals being weld. Table 5.8 addresses those requirements if you are using a recent edition of D1.1 for a structural application.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 02-01-2010 18:07
Al
Thank You for setting me straight.
I just flipped through and glanced at 3.7.3.2 my mistake for not taking the time and reading, I know better than to get in a hurry.
Sorry to the O.P. for the bad information.
Marshall
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-01-2010 19:30
Don't feel bad. I pulled a good one at a committee meeting the other day. Someone asked me a question, I looked at the wrong table and told them there was no such electrode. Talk about egg on your face!

Duh!

Best regards - Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / code for multi pass welds