Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / hobart automatic hood
- - By mcavana (**) Date 06-15-2002 17:19
I just purchased a hobart automatic hood. I am currently a welding student, and so far have only learned SMAW. In the 7 month course I will also learn GTAW (TIG), GMAW, and FCAW. The salesman who sold me the hood told me it would work for all welding processes exept for lasor welding. The owners manual also says it is good for the above processes. However I have now seen on 2 web sights people claiming otherwise. One says it does not work well with GTAW (TIG) at all, and the other said it does not work well with GTAW dc specificly. 3 other people claimed that hood is great for TIG. If any of you PROS have info about this please advise me ASAP!! I just purchased the hood yesterday and won't use it until Monday. If it is absolutely no good for TIG i will return it.. and have a few words with the salesman. Thank you for your time.. I know it is valuable!!

Mike CAV
Parent - - By mcwelding (**) Date 06-16-2002 14:44
hey,
what are the shades on this hood? IF IS FIXED SHADE YOU CAN GET PASSIVE FILTERS. hobart makes good products, it isnt like you bought a kmart brand. hopefully you can go from shade 9-12 that will cover most applications. what are the websites claiming otherwise? im sure its fine, and like i said you can get the filters if it is fixed. they are a fixed shade also and add to the fixed in the helment. one of my helments is a arc one hawk fixed shade 10. i bought the filters for it, a 1 and a 2 if i need them. good luck
rich
Parent - By mcavana (**) Date 06-16-2002 20:03
yes, it can be switched from 9-12. there is a knob on the side to do that. I think the other guys were saying that the tig would not triggor the sensors correctly or something....
Parent - By welder_guy2001 (***) Date 06-17-2002 01:36
sometimes an automatic hood w/o an adjustable sensetivity knob won't turn on when using low amperage TIG. that's only because the arc isn't bright enough. but for you, as a student, you shouldn't be getting into super low amperage TIG welding yet. by low amperage, i mean in the 5-20 amp range. most TIG is in the 40-200 amp range. you should be fine.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / hobart automatic hood